1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

IC from TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by twocups88, Jun 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. twocups88

twocups88 Well known member

Hello everyone,

So I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 8 years ago. I have always had anxiety and obsessions since my teenage years. I am sick of struggling with this, but am not sure it is TMS. The Dr. found small hemmoraghes on my bladder wall. Although other Drs. I talked to said people without IC also have these hemmoraghes. Only thing that worries me is that when I drink a lot of liquid I have more pain and it feels better when I urinate. One thing that makes me think it is mind related is when I find another thing to worry about(obsession) it tends to be way less painful. I can still feel it but it is less painful. Any thoughts?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a million percent TMS. I had this. The hydro distension, the awful catheter infusions. The gruesome photo of my bladder all red and crater like etc. It's all BS. ALL bladders look like red and hemorrhaged when they are distended! Complete nonsense I later found out. Just as further proof it's TMS, years later I had a childbirth go wrong that required a bladder sling (I was totally incontinent) and I never had a reoccurrence of IC despite all the trauma of the childbirth and the surgery.

3. twocups88

Thank you for responding. What were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking? Did you ever get sharp shooting pains in the bladder like a knife was poking you?

4. miffybunny

I had a lot of spasms and urgency and a tugging sensation. I'm sure I had sharp pains as well. This was years ago before I knew about Sarno but there was a lot going on in my life at the time. It was truly horrendous but it eventually went away, as mysteriously as it came. I think my anxiety had gone down about other things, so the bladder issue faded out but it was quite an ordeal for about 6 months. IC is totally a mind body syndrome. Unless there is a tumor or some crazy structural injury, I can guarantee it's psychological.

5. twocups88

Thank you. I am kind of new to this. I see a therapist for my obsessions, but do you have any other advice on what else I can do?

6. miffybunny

Definitely read Dr. Sarno's "The Mind Body Prescription" and "Unlearn Your Pain" by Dr. Schubiner. Also "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes is a must for anyone who suffers from anxiety. It's THE definitive book on the subject imo and it helped me so much. Then, you may want to look into a mind body therapist or coach...someone who is versed in that type of therapy (for chronic pain elimination)...The Pain Psychology Center in CA does phone sessions for ex.

7. twocups88

Thank you. I will look into all of this.

miffybunny likes this.
  8. twocups88

See I just don’t think sometimes it is TMS because a lot of the times when my bladder fills it feels irritated and when I urinate it feels better.

9. miffybunny

I would say every human feels that way to some extent. It sounds like a full bladder has become a mental trigger for you to produce danger signals in the brain. It's just a mental association (a habit) and this can be reversed. Everyone feels relief when they empty their bladder but in your mind a full bladder has taken on a scarier meaning because you associate it with pain. This is classic TMS.

twocups88 likes this.
  10. twocups88

Thanks Miffy. Not saying you're wrong its just my bladder felt way different in the past when it was full compared to after I got IC.

11. twocups88

The diet stresses me out more than anything. I never know what to eat and what not to eat. I hate this diet.