1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

IBS-C / levator ani syndrome

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by westb, Dec 14, 2015.

1. westb

westb Well known member

Just to say hello. I've been lurking around this website for a while - and have found it such a support. Thank you to those who set it up and who maintain it.

I'm 66 and the IBS and levator ani syndrome first kicked off in 2011 following two years when I was housebound with a back injury and in severe pain, swallowing codeine tablets like sweets. Thank goodness eventually I found an excellent cranial osteopath who has helped me recover. I'm so grateful to her.

However just as I was emerging from back problems the IBS-C, abdominal bloating and and the levator ani syndrome started. I've had an endoscopy and various tests which were quite clear and the GP has said it's IBS and there's not a lot that can be done. I'm never free from either for more than a few days at a time and at times the pain and discomfort are extreme. I've tried everything you can think of, seen a naturopath, been told I had gut dysbiosis, had acupuncture, tried a dietitian. I have changed my diet for the better and am a lot happier eating healthily but the IBS and levator ani syndrome still hang on and I am increasingly convinced that the root of it is indeed TMS and the knock on effect that prolonged stress can have on the digestive system. I have one of Dr Sarno's books (the Mind Body Prescription) and I'm working my way through this website. I've started the breathing exercise (4-7-8) and also positive affirmations. I already journaled every day so am continuing with this.

I fit the personality type to a T. A bit obsessive and sensitive, a perfectionist, with a pronounced tendency to worry. My childhood was difficult and in adult years I've had my skirmishes with addiction and compulsive eating. Both the latter, happily, seem to be behind me.

I've just started to push myself more to get out there in the world again. I've felt so unwell with the gut and pelvic pain issues that I've not really resumed a normal social life after the back pain years. I have to change this.

Is there anyone else out there who has dealt/is dealing with IBS or similar.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Westb. I haven't had much of a IBS problem, but when I do it seems to be from my emotions, worrying or being angry about something. You sound like you're making good progress and a strong belief in TMS will help you more than any medication.

I thought my childhood was happy until I journaled about it and realized how much anger and other emotions I was repressing because my parents divorced when I was seven. It pulled the security rug out from under me. Journaling led me to understanding my parents better and to forgive them.
    Forgiving ended my severe back pain. You might journal about what makes you angry and try to forgive those who caused it. Forgiving is the TMS penicillin of healing pain.

3. westb

westb Well known member

Thank you Walt. I'm very glad to have found this site. And I particularly like your last paragraph.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Peer Supporter

Yes, struggling with IBS for a long time. There is no medical cure, that is for sure! I have been in therapy (tms oriented) for the last two years. Wish I had a silver bullet cure for you, but I think it is going to take a lot of work and no timeline.

westb likes this.