1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I Wonder ?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by RikR, Feb 18, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

Some schools of psychology believe that once we recognize a personality part that has been screaming (TMS) for attention that it will back off or totally stop the messages. Much like a child that needs to be heard and then will calm down....actually don’t we all calm down once we are adequately heard.

Not unlike the old belief that until you get the message the class is still in session...pain being the class with TMS. I seem to be noticing....caveat on the words “seem to” ...that now that I have just began to listen to and comply with the messages my emotions are giving me, my symptoms are changing and maybe lessening.

Perhaps my lifelong disassociation from my emotions and that I am now using them as an internal compass they are no longer needing to shout through my body. So also perhaps the journaling is not so much about catharsis but about paying attention to the disowned parts of ourselves that needed a voice?

I am only dancing around the tip of an iceberg here so I don’t really know yet.Does this fit for anyone????

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Rik, You are getting it. As weird as it may seem, our bodies are trying to tell us something by creating these symptoms. For most people recovering does not involve uncovering "the thing" that you are repressing. Instead it involves understanding your personality, and, as you correctly mentioned, listening to your emotions. Once you are letting the emotions be present, you will see a decrease of symptoms. Disassociation is a cause of TMS. Journaling is a great tool at helping reverse this, because it can let you explore emotions and release them.