1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I was wondering..

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Avy, May 10, 2016.

1. Avy

Avy New Member

There are some things that confuses me. I started to ''feel my emotions'' like anger, sadness etc and learning not to avoid it. Of course, there is also fear of the pain. I'm still working on it. So I was wondering since it is something that I must learn in another words not be fearful of the pain itself, what is the best thing to do when it comes? To feel it or to talk to myself that it's ok and it's only TMS? Sorry if there was another thread on this subject.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Avy,

I've just seen that you've completed the SEP, so excellent work on that front. That's a huge step and shouldn't be dismissed.

There are numerous techniques that you could deploy when you are feeling certain sensations within your mind-body.

These include;

1. Self talk, making a gentle enquiry to your inner child with love and compassion and establish why you are feeling the way you are.
    2. Free writing - trying to explore a connection and understand any limiting beliefs that you may hold.
    3. Practice meditation and mindfulness - being more consiously aware of your emotions and learning to not let these thoughts have a hold on you. The more you do this the less a hold emotions such as anger, fear and worry will have on you
    4. Learning to shift your focuse from the body to something neutral, the outdoors, the sunshine etc.
    5. Take up yoga and practice an exercise that embodies movement and breathing. I've found this particularly beneficial for my own journey.
    6. EFT - emotional freedom technique, there are numerous threads on the topic and it's also worth looking into.

There are countless others and you'll really have to explore the Wiki.

You'll find these techniques only give a certain amount of return, so if you are finding they are not benefiting you, try another. Our journies are all quite different and unfortunately, there isn't one modality that suits all.

Best of luck on your journey.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    tgirl likes this.
  3. Avy

Avy New Member

Thank you Mike!

This is very helpful. I'm still looking what is best working for me and sometimes get lost in all the techniques. I also installed mindfulness bell on my phone to remind me to be present in the moment. Hopefully it will sink with time.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome, my friend.

A tip choose, it's not about how many you do, or which ones you do. But its about how often you practice it. Using few techniques often will allow for a healthy habit to stick and ultimately create new neuropathways.

Last edited: May 10, 2016