1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I want to get rid of Anxiety once and for all

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 575, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 575

575 Peer Supporter

Hi everybody!
    I post here today because I just can't live my life like I do anymore.
    Since Anxiety is said to be like TMS and I've actually left TMS behind and live painfree nowadays
    I just don't want to deal with anxiety anymore. It's like a never ending battle. Sure a few wins here and there, but it goes on and on and on... I'm tired of this shit.

I even know that my anxiety is bullshit. For example the thought that not-worrying is reckless.

Should I treat it exactly like TMS? Basically, I want to do something, I get the thought "that's too embarrassing and unnormal" (emotional pain), and then do it anyway?
    It's much, much harder to do than sit through the pain.

I thank everyone who has any ideas to share in advance. Have a great day!

2. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I treat mine as TMS........and I have anxiety on both sides of my family tree. While I still worry abt some symptoms I currently have I noticed that many things I used to obsess over I have been able to let go of...no, i'm not completely there yet but getting better all the time. Also noticed some of the symptoms I was fretting over have since disappeared or lessened to the point of where they are no longer an issue to me. A few key things I have learned:

- staying busy keeps your mind off things that cause anxiety
    - staying physically active allows you to prove to yourself that you don't have a serious problem or you wouldn't be able to do the things you do!
    - when it comes to our health google is useless unless you want to exacerbate your symptoms and accompanying worries
    - it is often a good thing when the doctor shrugs his/her shoulders
    - the time spent doing something enjoyable vs obsessing will naturally lower your anxiety level over time without meds

Hope this helps.........when it comes to anxiety, I am a self proclaimed king!

Lily Rose, fbcoach, 575 and 1 other person like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Meditation is the best. I am slowly retraining myself to notice first signs of anxiety, and instead of trying to keep myself busy with something to get my attention off anxiety, start meditating. It now takes only few minutes to close my eyes and start following my breath - and my mind starts settling. The trick is to catch it before it spirals out of control. Once you become an expert meditator, you can control your body and mind.

Lily Rose, Peggy and 575 like this.
  4. ken v

ken v New Member

If you haven't already, read Paul David's "At Last a Life." Learning to live along side it seems to have worked for him and others he quotes in his book.

575 likes this.
  5. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

Have you looked at the thread on Claire Weekes approach? i don't know how to attach a thread but search for Claire Weekes audio

575 likes this.
  6. Roney

Roney Newcomer

Meditation and yoga are the best for stress and anxiety free life.

575 likes this.
  7. 575

575 Peer Supporter

I'm back to report that I actually managed to reduce my anxiety.
    What really helps is just like with TMS to NOT try to find a solution online once you understand what is happening (anxiety tries to fool you).

I did the same thing with TMS, I read a lot of stuff, decided it's enough knowledge and didn't visit this forum or anything else during my recovery.

8. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

Hi 575,
    I too suffer anxiety, and even before the TMS, I started to realise that following every anxious thought and looking it up online took up huge amounts of time and energy and that it was a distraction from what was really going on. Decide enough is enough and not follow every scary "I wonder" and google it. It's a trap that is actually giving in to the obsessing. Good on you!

575 likes this.
  9. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi All,

I purchased and read Paul David's "At Last a Life". I am done with the book and I am happy to send it to anyone who wants it for free. I hate to just donate it anywhere when I know folks on this forum might enjoy it. As mentioned above, his approach is very similar to TMS - accept it, embrace it, do not "do anything" when you get anxiety. His approach is similar to Claire Weekes.

If interested, just direct message me (that seems possible on this forum) and I will send it to you (in the US).

-AC45