1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I think I have tms but I hold on to physical pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by David.b, Aug 31, 2016.

1. David.b

David.b Newcomer

Hi I m new here.. I read dr John e sarno s book a while back and it worked for me but about 8 months ago I had a very debilitating back pain so I went to the doctor.I did some physio and I went to a chiropractor wich helped me to be more straight. I still experience pain everyday and I m starting to think I should really go more into the Tms philosophy. I m torn between the physical symptoms and psychological ones

Boston Redsox likes this.
  2. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

That's a wise decision. :)

I would start by reading Dr. Sarno's books again.

The purpose of the physical symptoms are to distract you from the repressed emotions that are trying to break through to consciousness.

3. David.b

David.b Newcomer

I will thank you for the advice.. it s difficult because the Chiropractor took xray and explained to me that my spine wasn't how it supposed to be . Now I feel stuck in the physical part of it... i ll get back into thinking psychological

4. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Remember the study Dr. Sarno mentions in The Mindbody Prescription where they took 98 people without back pain and MRI'd their backs. 65 of them had an abnormality...but NO BACK PAIN.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Tennis Tom and David.b like this.
  5. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

If you go to a chiropractor, they'll give you one diagnosis. If you go to a physical therapist, they'll give you another. A surgeon, a third. There are countless supposed causes of pain, but the diagnosis (nor the treatment for that matter) do anything to alleviate it.

Tennis Tom and David.b like this.
  6. David.b

David.b Newcomer

I know it's playing with my mind... I always have doubts it's been so hard to manage

7. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Hi David,

You are in the right place. The whole other world here, another dimension shown to us by the Doctor and teacher, Doctor John E. Sarno.

This correct diagnosis is preventative medicine. Read again the book you have, perhaps get and read his other books. I read all four and read pages daily. As time passes fresh insights are noticed and felt in the progress I am making. The progress will continue throughout life by increasing awareness and understanding.

As we age, the normal abnormalities accumulate, the gray hairs of the spine as Doctor Sarno says. As a group, people in their sixties have less back pain than people in their twenties, even though the older group has more normal abnormalities of the spine, because the abnormalities are part of the normal aging changes in anatomy. And they do not cause pain!

Keep reading, keep searching your inner emotions, and never, never, never give up my friend.

honeybear424, David.b and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's a copy of a previous post of mine and why I refer to chiros as chiroquackters:

"As far as the "science" of x-ray diagnosis of the back, I must recount my first x-ray. It was performed by a chiro, who came very highly recommended by a friend because he was a "kinesiologist". He took an x-ray and looked concerned at the results. He said it looked like I may have a tumor. I said to myself, "Oh boy, I come here for a sore lower back and now I've got cancer." The chiro says let's take another x-ray. This time he tells me to hold my scrotum to the side. He looks at the new film and says, "Whew, that's good, you don't have a tumor, it was your left testicle."

Jacqui9 and David.b like this.
  9. David.b

David.b Newcomer

Thank you so much it's great to exchange with people who went through what I m going through...

10. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

hi David ... my abnormalities are pretty wild and tradition western practises(chiro's etal) and surgeries did not improve my pain or quality of life but accepting TMS has truly given me hope....fyi..I found the SEP program really helpful and enlightening...all the best

11. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

An addendum to my post above about the chiroquackter / "kiniseo". I don't know if he was incompetent or just trying to be funny. I believe the majority of white coats take control of "civilians" by instilling fear into us by the authority of their white coat status. They are our modern day shamans and without a doubt in the future many of their practices will be viewed as voo-doo. Modern medicine has given us many real breakthroughs such as vaccines against diseases such as polio, small pox etc., and for traumatic injuries such as sustained in auto accidents. The proof of this is the ever longer life expectancies seen today. Recently the prostrate exam that was routine for men has been dropped because it was found to be of no value--oh joy!--rubber glove and vaseline stocks will be going down due to this I'm sure.

I saw the chiro for a few sessions, although it was a long drive on the recommendation of a trusted coach. I did about six sessions, I would see the same people in the waiting room on their lunch hours using their work insurance to cover the sessions. Do to the doubt put in my mind by his misread of my initial x-ray, I lost confidence in him and came to the conclusion that the drive to see him was more dangerous then the "L4/L5 pinched nerve" dx he gave me--especially after a new freeway construction accident occurred that squished a car on the route I would take. My "pinched nerve" that had been causing "sciatica", "ITB" and "periformis" syndromes went away. I did see another chiro closer by once on the high recommendation of a fellow tennis player--I'm sure ALL chiros come highly recommended. I did run into several movie stars in the reception so that was a plus. The chiro had pictures of famous people in his office and was very congenial--it was very relaxing to see him--for the 10-15 minutes on his table. He would buzz me with his magic chiro wand and let out a big exhalation when he would get on top of me for the final big twist--I always thought this big exhalation was kind of overly-dramatic. He was a big guy and I didn't think the efforting he displayed was commensurate to the action.

So yesterday I'm in the pool and a doctor I know walks by and starts chatting, he is constantly on my case to get a hip-replacement (and maybe I should) to the point of annoyance. As he walks off he says I have a hernia when he sees my belly-button is sticking out. He says it's a simple, quick surgical procedure. I noticed several years ago that my naval was sticking out but attributed it to Dr. Sarno's "gray hair of the spine" due to aging and gave it little thought. I have no pain from it but now I have to try to get his NOCEBO out of my head. I sneezed and felt it in my navel. I will ask my GP what he thinks about it--someday. That's how docs get into your head--I saw it in action yesterday.

honeybear424 likes this.