1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I must have tms...right?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jshaughn40, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jshaughn40

Jshaughn40 New Member

Ok heres my story...
    I woke up one day with pins and needles down my left arm and left thumb with neck/shoulder blade stiffness..i wasnt in PAIN and have been able to continue with my construction job.

I Ignored it for a month before i went to doctor.... first they thought it was a pinched nerve, then they thought it was a herniated disc, then thoracic outlet syndrome, now a herniated disc again. 3 months later i still have the same annoying pins n needles. The symptoms havent gotten worse but havent gotten better Either. They come and go during the day.

Ive tried anti- inflammatories, steroids, physical therapy, chiro, massage. My phys therapist said theres somethin wrong bc im 26 and im to young to not have recovered by now. So i have gotten xrays. Xrays negative. Show no abnormalties. Waiting on the mri appt...

My father had these same symptoms but with his lower back when he was my age. Hes CONVINCED tms is real. He said it changed his life. I believe it is true too.

My problem is before i heard about tms i would make mental notes of what postions caused my thumb the most numbness. So for example, if i tie my shoe it will go numb. If i lay on my stomach with hands over head my thumb goes numb.

Now that i am trying to digest my TMS i am havin a hard time in my mind that when i do these certain motions there HAS to b thoracic outlet syndrome or a herniated disc.

I am going CRAZy please help

2. Bhamgirl

Bhamgirl Peer Supporter

I'm new at all of this, so I may not have the best answer. However, from your post, you really seem to be focusing on the physical. Look at it from a different perspective. Are you under any tremendous stress right now? In a tension-filled relationship? Fretting over the holidays? Tough job? Stressful family life? Look at all aspects of your life and see if there is something(s) that just isn't sitting right. Seeing that you have been checked out by your doctor and tried numerous routes to get better, but haven't, maybe your subconscious is telling you to slow down and take a look inward.

If you haven't already, read Healing Back Pain. There are numerous other books as well, but that's a great starter. It's also great that you have a father who has experience with TMS. That could be an invaluable resource!

I'm sure others will chime in and offer better and more detailed advice, but until then, I wish you the best!

3. Jshaughn40

Jshaughn40 New Member

Thank u bhamgirl. Ur right i have been.

I work 6-7 days a week and I bought a house 5 months ago by myself. I put to much pressure on myself. My gf tells me all the time to slow down. I worry/ have anxiety. And am a goodist/perfectionist.

I chronicle all my tms episodes over my life since i was 18. All occured during stressful times. (Usually lower back pain. Couple times was actually anxiety attacks)

I no this is controversial but i grew up catholic and feel like this is Gods way of telling ne i need to ger right w/ Him.

4. Jshaughn40

Jshaughn40 New Member

Yes i have read the book....i started journaling im just a "macho man" and hold everythin in. I hav a hard time opening up even to myself...

5. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

JS -

Wow the pins and needles is right up my alley. That is how my issues started in my left leg/foot and arm. like you, it is nothing but annoying and doesn't stop me from running and working. I have convinced myself I have some horrible neuroligical disease after the assurance of doctors it is anxiety and maybe a pinched nerve.

I tried the anti-inflam meds and they too didn't work. I did however start running again and my leg and arm pain stopped for a few days but my anxiety and TMS moved to my vision and head rushes. I have actually been having a better day with my vision and boom my tingling is coming back.

The only thing left for me is an MRI but my docs dont think I need it. They think its all fear and anxiety. So know you are not alone.

I am a perfectionist as well, under stress at work and have a 5 year old wild boy. When my physical sensations started I obsessed and looked for them all day. First thing when I work up etc....sounds like what you are doing as well.

You are not alone, my neuro doc said it is very common for people to come in with sunconscious pain with no real cuase that presents as pins and needles, numbness etc..

6. Jshaughn40

Jshaughn40 New Member

pingman o ya we sound a lot alike haha. the pins and needles r soo annoying. that's very reassuring when you have the support from professionals who see patients everyday. that's good you started working out. I also started working again for about 2 weeks now but have had no positive or negative results.

I think I would feel better if my phys therapist or my chiro agreed that it is tension(pending my mri results) .........

7. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Its kind of funny how opposite we have it. My GP and Neuro doc both agree its tension and stress related and don't want an MRI while your in the opposite boat.

8. Bhamgirl

Bhamgirl Peer Supporter

The religious issue isn't controversial. It's a very private matter and, for you, may be a big part of your life. There is absolutely nothing wrong or controversial about that. In fact, it's a wonderful thing! :) I'm glad to hear you've read Sarno's work, but you may want to consider reading Dr. Scott Brady's book entitled "Pain Free for Life." He brings in a spiritual element that Sarno does not. Just a thought.

Have a great weekend!

9. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I know you've said you read Healing Back Pain, but it isn't always enough to read it just once. I've read it, along with The Mindbody Prescription, and The Divided Mind, but I also have them on audiobook. I have listened to them over and over again. I never tire of hearing Dr. Sarno's voice in Healing Back Pain.

I, too, was raised Catholic and consider myself to be recovering because of the amount of guilt that was instilled in me. I don't believe in a judgmental, condemning, punishing God any longer. Now I practice mindfulness and self-compassion. I am learning to love and accept just the way I am.

Pain Free For Life is also a very good book and really inspired me to get busy with journaling!