1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I know this sounds crazy but....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hoolie, Aug 8, 2016.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

I just had an experience that makes me marvel at about the power of the unconscious mind. Could this all really be psychosomatic?

Yesterday a friend was talking about going to get wax scraped off her eardrum and how miserable she was before this was done. Exciting, I know! But later in the evening, my ear started to hurt. Bad. I have been coming down with a cold for days, but it wasn't horrible, and I have had hundreds of colds in my 39 years and never once had an earache or infection. The pressure and pain were horrible and woke me up during the night. So off to urgent care I went this morning, sure that I had an ear infection. But I don't- the doctor just said it was "inflamed". (Inflamed....hmm....inflamed....) Now it feels better. And suddenly I remembered this quite insignificant part of my day where my friend was talking about her ear. Could it be?

I have observed the unconscious mind at work in bizarre ways, besides TMS. Once I was talking to someone and noticed a large mole on his nose. I suddenly found myself scratching my own nose in the exact same spot as his mole. A few times, after feeding my newborn twins, I'd be burping them on my shoulder and I myself would burp (and I can't say I burp that often...haha).

So, maybe I'm just more suggestible than most, or this is really that common!

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The power of the subconscious mind! There have been a number of news stories about group psychosis, TMS in action. You could say you got her ear.

hoolie likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is amazing how many things we can convince our bodies to do, without knowing it!

hoolie and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

Definitely. TMS symptoms are contagious like virus. TMS can create inflammation too by reducing (or enhancing) your immune reaction.

hoolie and Tennis Tom like this.