1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I know nausea is caused by stress, but this is horrible!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stressed_teacher, Apr 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. stressed_teacher

stressed_teacher Newcomer

I find myself stopping many times during each day to remind myself that the reason I'm feeling so sick is because it's the end of the semester and I am an overloaded teacher. But is there anything else I can do? I know it will end, but I feel like I'm continuously going to throw up. It's hard to keep functioning. I have read Sarno's book and lurked for months on this forum, but somehow just knowing it's in my head doesn't stop the nausea and continuous build-up of stomach acid. I just wondered if there was an additional step anyone could suggest. Thanks in advance!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

There are a few things you can do.
    1. Accept the anxiety, and accept the physical symptom. Know it is temporary. Claire Weekes books are older but are an amazing guideline for dealing with anxiety in all forms. There is free audio on youtube of her reading Hope And Help For Your Nerves. Her voice is soothing.
    There are two free programs on this site to help you deal with TMS. Choose one, and follow through to the end even if symptoms subside. You can find them by scrolling down here near the bottom. https://www.tmswiki.org/w/index.php?page=The_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_Wiki (The Tension Myositis Syndrome Wiki)

The physical symptoms are often due to stress but also do to our personal habit of squelching our emotions. It is wise to explore our anger, sadness, fear, and even joy or inability to access these emotions. Journalling about these helps many people. The SEP (one of the free programs) guides you in that process.
    if you choose to, you can take medicine for symptoms to help your healing journey. Antacids, anxiety meds, anything that helps you get through your day and complete a program.
    Remember to be kind to yourself and rest your body and mind as well as move them too.

Dorado, Booble and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

My #1 technique for any gut issue (including queasiness) is deep therapeutic breathing along with calming self-talk. It only takes a moment and can be done anytime, even while engagin in just about any activity!

And you can't go wrong with Claire Weekes for anxiety. I read Hope & Help For Your Nerves back in 2011 and I call it the second book that saved my life after Dr. Sarno's book. I think that my being able to do therapeutic breathing effectively probably started with her simple lessons on how to face and get past anxiety.

Dorado and Booble like this.