1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I Don't Understand This

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kalo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi All,

I was told by to TMS practioner via email (names I will not mention on the board) because they were AWESOME to email me and answer my questions.

So, I have had sciatica nerve pain for the last 8 months. I have not had an Xray or MRI, I am reading that almost all practioner say to rule out tumor or anything structural.

The TWO TMS practioners that I corresponded with told me they in most likely hood my sciatic leg was TMS and NOT to WORRY about TUMOR because they are RARE!!!

So, why do they say on their sites to rule it out....

Kalo

2. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

I would say they put it on their website because it is the most sensible thing to do? It is highly unlikely you have a tumour but by having a test you can be sure and it will also help you build confidence in the TMS diagnosis because you won't then have the possibility in the back of your mind. Also, it probably covers them legally! They don't want to treat someone for TMS who could have a structural problem, however unlikely it may be. There are of course downsides to having lots of tests because they are bound to find things, like minor degeneration etc. which are inconsequential but can put ideas into your head! It's a personal decision but I opt for all the tests - get it out of the way - then move on with TMS healing. Good luck :)

3. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi Sara,

THANKS SO MUCH for your response. I agree with everything you said. I have EXTREME Health Anxieties. I so want to believe this is TMS, but, as you stated if I go for more testing, ie MRI, they would probably find some thing like stenosis and or herniated disc...I did have an Xray by a chiroquackter and he said for my age my spine looked good...But that of course is a chiro..

Thanks,
    Litsa

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

X-rays and MRIs can show something structural, but what caused it? Most likely TMS, from your emotions. You are a health worrier... I was too, until I discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS and believed in the MindBody syndrome. I used to worry a cut finger into losing a hand. Now it's just a cut finger. My Inner Bully no longer rules me. I rule myself with positive thinking and believing totally in TMS.

mdh157 likes this.
  5. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Thanks Walt, I appreciate your words of wisdom! I need to shape my Inner Bully as well!

Kalo