1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I don't remember what "normal" feels like

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by gizmo, Jan 6, 2022.

1. gizmo

gizmo New Member

Context :
    - I've had pelvic pain for a while now (it started in 2018). But I've made a lot of progress since then (thanks in large parts to this community). I'd say I'm 90% cured: I feel some mild "pain" in certain occasions (sitting for a long time or when I'm frustrated). I'm 100% convinced it's TMS.

Question :
    - How do I'll even know when I'm "cured"? I don't even really remember how I felt before it started hurting.

I'm not even sure I'd recognize how "normal" feels like when I'll get there. It cannot be "no sensations", because my senses will keep feeling the world around me...

I remember that before the onset of the pain, when I felt "normal", I felt discomfort when I was sitting for a long time or working intensely on something... but I didn't care at the time, I was too busy for that, I just brushed it off...! It's like those sensations have always been there but now they're labeled "pain" and I'm super attentive to every variation of it: it's like a bad habit I need to get rid of.

I don't know if it makes sense. English is not my first language... Can you help me sort this out?... Thanks.

2. NCGal

NCGal New Member

Yes you make sense and your English is fine. I can relate. My issue is pelvic and particularly intense with sitting. Sitting, obviously is not something I have avoided. I’ve often been fussy, fidgety, and sensitive to clothing so I would say my “normal” is not exactly sensation-free.

Many of the TMS practitioners say you won’t even know the precise time or moment when your pain subsides. Their clients don’t believe it when they are told that, but invariably it happens to them just like that. When you were too busy and brushed off those sensations they were not pain sensations. They were just sensations, like breathing is a sensation.

Your mind may be trying to trick you by diverting your attention to concentrating on labels, and thus has created a habit and diversion for you, and something additional to worry about. Perhaps you need to set words aside and pay more attention to feelings. Maybe it’s mindfulness, somatic tracking, meditation or hypnotherapy exercises that could help. Many people use the Curable app. I myself use Insight Timer. It’s an excellent free resource.

I have none of this figured out by the way. Just moving forward as best I can. Good luck!

3. gizmo

gizmo New Member

Thanks for the message. It helps me make sense of it all. I’ve just had like 4-5 days with zero pain. I think I’ll be alright after all. I wish you the best.