1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I don't know how to break the fear/pain cycle

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fraggle, Jul 16, 2018.

1. fraggle

fraggle New Member

I'm up to day 15 & the pain has intensified in my lower back. I've accepted that it is TMS but it doesn't seem to take a break. The TMS program said that by now I should know what the triggers are for pain. And I do. It's anxiety over hurting my back again (which I've done a few times now). I wish I didn't have a memory because then I could just accept it and move on. But the pain causes me great anxiety as I know that the tension is how I've hurt my back in the past. I can't ignore it. It happens whenever I stand, so basically I avoid standing. When I go out in public my anxiety worsens and of course so does the pain, as I feel the pressure to keep on going until I can find a place to sit. I don't know how to be fearless. It's a leap of faith I guess, but I'm not sure how to do it.

2. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Have you read Dr. Sarno's books beside doing the program? Both programs here are great, but reading the books clear up many concepts that need to be understood first. Accepting the TMS diagnosis is just part of it. You have to understand the mechanism of TMS because this is a cure by knowledge. First, TMS should be diagnosed by a TMS physician or psychologist. When you say that you will hurt your back again, we do not know if you are talking because you have some diagnosis of something organic or that you just believe so. The main thing in TMS would be that you recognize that your body or your physical estate have nothing to do with the pain, so that is why you need a TMS physician to access your condition first. Now, if you already have done so, and the problem really is TMS, the first thing you need to understand is that there is nothing wrong with your body or your back. There is only mild oxygen deprivation of the muscles which is causing the pain, activated by your brain to distract you from the subconscious feelings of rage and fear. I suggest that you get the books and read them throughly before anything. TMS is neither "faith" healing but knowledge healing, so there is no leap of faith to take but to deeply understand and internalize what is happening.

fraggle likes this.
  3. fraggle

fraggle New Member

Thanks JoeHealingTms, I've just finished reading Dr Claire Weeks' book, & I'm literally about to begin Dr Sarno's book tonight. So I will see how that goes. Thank you for your reply, I shall feast on knowledge.