1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 I can't Journaling felt Good!?!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jrid32, Dec 19, 2015.

1. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

I will admit that I was not looking forward to journaling today about a passed event that caused emotions (or repressed emotions). I have never been fond of writing, but will admit I feel a little weight has been lifted off my back after this exercise. I am just hoping this event has caused some of my repressed emotions. Is there a way to link a passed event to repressed emotions; especially for someone that is stoic?!?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi jrid32,

Here is a tip or two:

As you journal, sense into your body, particularly your "midline" from head down through genitals. The body does not lie, and picks up feelings that the mind may not be aware of. Gently breathe into the feelings --as they are located in your body, and try to allow them. If the sensations, feelings, emotions begin to feel like too much, and you become overwhelmed, stop and bring your attention to something pleasing, like something beautiful, or a pet, or breathing, etc.

As you journal stop, take a breath, sense into body. Resume.

Sense into your "stoicness" and allow it. How does it feel in your body? Can you name the textures --warm, cold, firm, soft, etc. that you might feel as your stoicness? Allowing our numbness and armor, defenses is a way for us to have compassion for our way of being. Our compassion for the way we find ourselves allows gentle, natural change, perhaps more opening into experiences without so much defense.

These approaches may help you gently be with your experience, and therefore allow more insight into your emotions, feelings, and connections to past and present events.

Andy B.

jrid32 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, jrid. Andy gives you good advice about stoicness. We can't be "open" in dealing with others or even ourselves. You may just be too critical of yourself. Try not to let your Inner Bully cause you to shut yourself off from your feelings, so you can be more in tune with the feelings of others. I think there are some videos on Youtube about self-compassion that you might watch. It's "funny" that stoicism can cause TMS and so can being a "goodist" person, overdoing concern about the feelings of others. I guess a balance between them is needed. Good luck finding your balance.

jrid32 likes this.