1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I Can Finally Say IT! I’m A Success Story!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Jules, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

After 20 plus years of TMS and over five years of doing the work and not giving up, but giving in, I can finally say I am CURED! From nerve and muscle pain, IBS, balance issues, rib spasms, “carpal tunnel and other weird shoulder crap to pelvic and back pain and more, I have kicked TMS to the curb! danceadanceadancea

My last test was my trip to Thailand a month ago when I was anxious and stressed. Had some nausea before I left, but interestingly, had NO pain - well except the normal muscle soreness from hiking up two miles on cobblestone. This was a huge confirmation to me. We did everything, even surfed! But, I made the trip enjoyable, didn’t fret about the pain, and in fact, never even thought about it and BAM!! I can honestly say my chronic pain is gone! Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t have any pain. I just got over being sick for a week and a half with a killer sore throat and cough, but the daily back and forth pain isn’t there. I simply stopped fearing and caring.

The most important thing I did was to believe in TMS 100% and not fear it. Also, I don’t repress my feelings, journal when I don’t feel right or good, and let small stuff go. Life’s too short to stress about what if’s anymore. I enjoy my life with my job, husband, kids, and grandkids, and doing things I enjoy. I no longer fret about things I can’t change and my anxiety has calmed considerably.

My therapist and this website has been pivotal in my recovery, so I say a huge THANK YOU to all who’ve inspired me, chatted with me, cheered and supported me along this journey. My life is full and rich, even when I don’t think it’s fair or great sometimes.

To anyone reading this whose still struggling, DON’T GIVE UP, GIVE IN. Accept the diagnosis and move forward with hope and not hoplessness, faith and not fear, perseverance and not inpatience. YOU WIlL SUCCEED! ;)

Angel8, Balsa11, mrsdt and 20 others like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jules,

I am so happy to get your report. I am not surprised. I hope others will take hope in your perseverance, patience, and some of your approaches like

I feel like anyone can succeed if they use these basics, and where the "practice is not perfect" it will clarify itself and get better. And for some, the support by outside help is very important.

Five years seems long to some folks here, I am sure, but you know the truth of this approach, that it is what actually works, and really what choice do we have but to do what is needed, time be damned? You have gotten to the way out, which will always be with you.

I hope you read my post awhile back on ease, with longer-term success!
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/ease-trust-success-and-positive-loops.19807/#post-104536 (Ease, trust, success, and positive loops)

Yessssss!!!!!!

Andy B

Angel8, Balsa11, TrustIt and 3 others like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations, Jules!

Always knew you'd get there. Now you can serve as an inspiration to others who are suffering.

Coffeeplease and Jules like this.
  4. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Dear Jules, I am so happy for you! I can remember how you struggled. And I can also remember your concerns about the Thailand trip! dont' give up, give in - that's a good paradoxical motto! thanks for sharing!

Jules and Coffeeplease like this.
  5. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Awesome. Pure awesomeness :)

Jules and Coffeeplease like this.
  6. Coffeeplease

Coffeeplease Peer Supporter

Love your success story and thank you so much for sharing!
    BEST ADVICE EVER!

Congratulations and so very happy for you!! You ARE an inspiration :)

Jules likes this.
  7. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Stories like this are so important, thanks so much for taking the time to remind us all that we can all eventually get there. Congrats and enjoy!

8. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Just had a thought, maybe a few Q/A make this thread even more helpful for those in the future...

1. What kind of therapist did you use? How often?

2. When you said you looked at everything as TMS, that makes sense. But how did you handle those days when the brain seemed to lock onto symptoms with fear?
    In other words you mentioned IBS... if you had a bad flare and had to go through work... and the mind was drenched in that fear, what would you use to keep you pointed forward? (Self-talk, etc.)

9. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Congratulations on your journey you are a inspiration to all who are still on this long climb to pain free ..God Bless you

10. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Jules,

Good stuff! Congrates to you

11. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Thank you for sharing. This is so inspiring. Can you elaborate about what you mean by give in?

12. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I am SO happy for you, Jules! I knew you could do it. :) Thank you for sharing your insight and encouragement!

Marinedad likes this.
  13. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Wow Jules, Congratulations!!! I remember your struggles, your terrible pain, the many times you wanted to throw in the towel and give up, then a day or two later you were right back at it. It was far from easy for you. One of the most difficult struggles I’ve read on here, but you didn’t give up. Anyone who thinks they are unique and can’t succeed needs to read all your posts. A big high five to you! You’re a true inspiration.

Balsa11, Jules and Dorado like this.
  14. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Jules, back in April you were beside yourself, but Steve, Plum, Dorado and others threw you a lifeline of getting you to let go and wow....Happy NewYear. I believe the answer lies in just living, loving and getting back to what's important in life. You made it to the other side and gosh Congrats. Thank you for sharing this journey and I think you should post your story on the TMS Wall of Victory.

Balsa11, TrustIt and Jules like this.
  15. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Thx you for your story and congratulations on your victory ...I needed this for my own search of freedom thx you

Jules likes this.
  16. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I'm happy for you, but your story is also reminder for me to not give up. It took 5 years for you to recover... if it gonna take twice as long for me, then recovery is still WORTH IT. Even one precious moment without pain and disease is worth it!

Balsa11 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  17. Catskillgirl

Catskillgirl Newcomer

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the name of your therapist? Thanks

18. Graciejean

Graciejean New Member

Hi Jules, What an inspiring story! I haven't been on this site for awhile and when I checked back in, I just read this. I see that it is from about 3 years ago. Your symptoms resonated with me, and your approach to recovery did as well. I am curious as to how you are still doing. I experienced great relief from my symptoms after totally believing it was TMS after a visit with Dr. Howard Schubiner. However, that was about 3 years ago and all was well until my husband and I made a major move to a new home in the middle of an pandemic. The move went well, but the sudden relocation to a community where I don't know people, and still haven't been able to get involved any social activities that would allow me to meet people and get to know them and develop friendships (due to so many Covid restrictions here in Michigan). I am working from home and consequently, haven't been able to bond much with my colleagues either. I truly miss my friends from where we lived before moving and all of this has caused stress and anxiety - and now some "new" as well as some "old" symptoms that had been absent for quite some time are rearing their ugly head!. I find myself starting that old cycle of "fretting" and yet trying my best not to go there. But the activities, friends and social interactions that seemed to help me become "indifferent' to the symptoms are no longer around so, I admit it is much harder. - Sorry to ramble. But I just was really touched and encouraged by your post and wanted to share that; and I hope that you are still doing well and enjoying life to the fullest.

Balsa11 likes this.
  19. Onahealingpath

Onahealingpath Newcomer

I am so happy for you, for how long did you go to Thailand? I'm planning to go for two months myself.

20. Hillel Paley

Hillel Paley Newcomer

That's great to hear! You mind sharing what you suffered in terms of IBS and how is your life looking in this regard? As someone who suffers very much from IBS I would be very happy to hear it...