1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I am thinking too physical?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lexington, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Lexington

Lexington Peer Supporter

Hi all
    I haven't posted in a while but been dropping by to read, seeing how others are getting on and fully believing the TMS diagnosis. I have been recovering really well and had lots of success working with a therapist and journalling and challenging my automatic responses etc. I was 95% pain free and felt like I had woken from a bad dream. Then I went back to work for 3 days.... I felt more tension and pain with each day and now in my 4 days off (I went part time to be home for my son more and because I have totally lost heart) I can't seem to give my self permission to not obsess and guilt over details. I hate my job and will leave in 6 months (at end of school year, I'm a teacher argghh). The pain has been bad the last 48 hours back on co codamol and it had me scared last night but pulled myself away from the edge with breathing, affirmations, thought stopping etc etc. Apart from the burning sciatica again, I just feel so tense, cramped and sore. It really hurts to press my thigh. So to my question... A colleague with neck problems (I have not come out of the TMS closet at work) told me about using transdermal magnesium oil. It sounds like it could be a good natural pain reliever, or at the very least help my sore muscles? I am getting too physical? Is it just a placebo? Am i getting distracted because i am just so fed up to be back in pain again. Any users out there? Thanks so much

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lexington,

I have not used, nor know anyone who has used transdermal magnesium. If you can help it, I would avoid it, because it does put you right back in the "physical." You have so much information about what is causing your TMS that I would focus on that. And you have gotten so far. So now you have a brilliant opportunity to inquire into the dynamics and inner relationships that are causing the tension. Work is the trigger, but in what way?

This seems like a great place to dig in, with your therapist.

Good luck in this!

Andy B.

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Transdermal mineral oil...been there, done that, did nowt. Of course that is not to say it won't work for you there are some amazing testimonies on Amazon for it. I have to say I was sceptical and therefore maybe I made my own experience...as with most things like this I think the placebo and just as crucially the nocebo effect play a huge part in the results you see.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Transdermal doesn't absorb well, use magneisum powder like CALM