1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I am scaring myself please help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by billiewells, Jan 17, 2016.

1. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

Read about TMS, sought out TMS therapy . . all good , ,,,,, been anxious and agoraphobic for decades. Since starting therapy anxiety going up and down like yo yo and symptoms getting huge. I am now scaring myself that something terrible is wrong ... or imminent and I cant seem to distract or talk myself out of it. Today I feel it is hopeless that my drop foot will never resolve., I feel isolated and in need of reassurance . . . I know I should give it to myself but just cant seem to.

Any advice?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes billiewells,
    Take a pillow into your arms and hold it to your chest. Feel your breath in your belly and chest, and the contact with the pillow. When you have felt the pleasure of this experience, and a sense of contact with yourself, then you can add words. The pillow is "you" and you as the observer are seeing "you" in your suffering: afraid, scared, scared the troubles will not end, not knowing what to do to help yourself. Begin to whisper kind words of recognition of how scared "you" (as the pillow) are. Spend time with yourself this way every day, connecting to your fears, your difficulties, your experience exactly as it is. Your best bet is to love yourself, even in your fear, like a mother loves a child. Develop this contact with yourself, which takes practice.
    Andy B.

Boston Redsox, KevinB, yb44 and 3 others like this.
  3. billiewells

Thank you Andy, will try ....... Fed up with this

4. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

5. billiewells

Yes I found Claire in the 80's but doesn't really hit the spot these days but thanks for replying

6. SophieM

SophieM New Member

Hi Billiewells,

I am really sorry that you have been feeling so anxious. I have had panic attacks and anxiety in the past (and have been feeling much more anxiety since working on my TMS) and so know how bad it can feel. Are there any mindfulness/meditation recordings that help you? The thoughts and fears you are having are just that, thoughts. They dont mean anything but they can feel so massive, real and overwhelming in the moment. I find when I feel like that, that listening to mindfulness recordings for anxiety on loop helps as they give me something to focus on when I feel really distracted by anxiety. There are some really good ones on spotify.

I really understand what you mentioned about feeling isolated. When my TMS started (which i didnt realise was TMS at the time) I felt so isolated, even when surrounded by people, as noone could understand or know what it felt like to be in constant pain and unable to walk around. I was so worried all the time. And then I found this forum and realised that there were lots of people out there who seemed to be experiencing similar things and were really conquering their anxiety and TMS. It was such a relief to discover I was not alone. And therefore I am pleased to tell you that you are not alone either.... we are all here for you.

Good luck today,
    Sophie

7. SophieM

SophieM New Member

p.s have you seen the forum post.... Understanding and Overcoming Fear?? I just read it and it was really interesting, with tips about managing TMS fears.

8. billiewells

Sorry not to have replied, only just seen your post, thank you for your kind words