1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 I AM GOING TO HEAL MY PAIN

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TeeJay, Sep 6, 2013.

1. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

I have been reading Dr. Sarno's books, as well as a couple others on mind-body stuff. After some fit and starts, this is my official first day of the program. I have been doing the procrastination-thing and getting off topic in my life.

The first book I read was actually by Adam Heller, and I had about a 20% pain reduction after reading. I bought his workbook too, but felt I needed more support, and you have to purchase his DVD's for a lot of money to get the support part.

Luckily, I met an awesome lady through meetup.org who introduced me to TMS Wiki, but then, I couldn't decide which program to use, as I have the perfectionist and procrastination personality traits. I wanted the "perfect" program. Heller's, Sarno's, TMSWiki. So, instead of continuing daily work on a program, I went a little out of control painting and making repairs to the outside of my house. It was great. I felt like I could do anything. However, the pain started getting worse again and I felt like I was back to where I started.

Well, this "forced" me to get back to a program. So, I chose TMSWiki. And I am so grateful that I did because this first day, right out of the shoot, I read about what happened to me. While I know I was pushing too hard working, I understand there is so much more going on. My husband and I started working on the house only on the weekends, together. But since I have been unable to work for 12 years because of the pain, I am home all the time. So, I started working on the house during the week too. I am a fast painter - really compulsive sometimes.

Anyway, today I realized the real source of my pain - I am angry and really pissed off. I am angry because I am having to do the work period. We can't afford to hire anyone to do it, so we have to do it ourselves or it doesn't get done. I feel angry at my husband because he has a hard time on the ladders, so I have had to do most of the ladder work, he doesn't work fast enough for my liking, etc. etc. Now this is not to put blame him, because he is doing what he needs to do to take care of himself, and I my rational mind knows that. But there is that part of me that resents having to even do it at all. So, instead of just slowing down and taking more breaks like a more healthy person would, the pain comes screaming back at me and I have to stop completely. That is where I am now.

The pain has slowed down a little, but my determination to do this program has really kicked in today, as I feels so fortunate to have come across a story exactly about what I am going through right now!!!! Awesome.

Plus, I talked to my friend who has TMS yesterday and she became 90% pain-free over the course of 8-10 weeks while doing this very program. She really gave me incentive, as well. Adios

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, TeeJay. How great that you met someone who told you about TMS and you're working on a healing program from TMSWiki.
    I recovered from back pain and I'm 83, by following Dr. Sarno's 12 Daily Reminders. I'll list them below in case you don't have them,
    from his book Healing Back Pain (page 82).

I think you will help heal your pain by reflecting on your perspective regarding your husband not doing more of the work on the house.
    You may well be more driven to do it than your husband and he also fears falling off a ladder, and that's understandable.
    Maybe just try to forgive him for not helping more, whether he can't, is fearful, or even if he's just (dare I say it?) lazy.

And take your time about doing the house painting and repairs. More will be there later. Maybe listen to your favorite music while you work, to make the time and work go faster and more pleasant.

You're lucky you are a determined person... that will help you go through one of the several TMS healing programs.

I'll post Dr. Sarno's 12 Daily Reminders in the one following this. Good luck and stay in touch with us at TMSWiki.org/forum. -- Walt

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The crux of Dr. Sarno’s TMS healing is in his 12 Daily Reminders.
    He suggests reflecting on them for 15 minutes a day. They are:

1. The pain is due to TMS, not to a structural abnormality
    2. The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
    TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions
    4. The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER
    TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions
    6. Since my back is basically normal, there is nothing to fear
    7. Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous
    8. And I MUST resume all normal physical activity
    9. I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain

10. I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues
    11. I intend to be in control, NOT my unconscious mind
    12. I must think Psychological at all times, NOT physical.

4. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

Great reminder Walt, thanks for posting these. I have them written down in my journal. Perhaps I need to print them out and plaster them on my wall!