1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I am a newbie

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Hummingbird, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Peer Supporter

I read Sarno's book 2 weeks ago and much of the pain left my arms within the first week. Now I am experiencing a new pain from using my arms for the first time in 8 months. The muscles are so sore from my first beginner yoga class. It is post exercise sore. But so sore! Anyone have any tips on this?

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Hummingbird,

What a gorgeous name and avatar you've chosen.

Best remedy for post-exercise sore muscles is a hot bath with Epsom salts which soothe and relax beautifully. It makes me sleepy too.

3. Hummingbird

4. Hummingbird

Thanks for the advice Plum! Tried the Epsom salts and they did help tonight.

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Hummingbird!

In the PT field we call what you experienced DOMS...delayed onset muscle soreness! Very common after a new exercise and only should last a couple days. It's not a bad thing at all and means you're starting to build up your muscles again! I like the epsom salt suggestion and also suggest a little bit of general stretching after the exercise and using a foam roller. Those things will make the soreness last a little less long.

6. Hummingbird

Thanks MindBody PT! I don't think I've ever had an experience of not using a body part for 8 months and then reintroducing exercise! My arms are like two little twigs that have not even lifted a pot of boiling water. I am going very compassionately with my renewed activity, but not too compassionate as I keep telling my brain that the TMS sensations are really a crock. Every day I seem to get a little more of my life back. It is good to hear that general stretching or rolling are good to do as I was rather unsure if I'd hurt myself when it first happened, but it does pass. So a little help for making it pass is much appreciated!!:D

MindBodyPT likes this.