1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I actually hurt myself a little

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riverrat, Aug 23, 2016.

1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

So i somehow fell last night on the sidewalk. I ended up pretzeling my legs somehow to catch the fall. The one ankle/ foot was excruciating for a short while. I feared a break. Both legs and knees, back and an arm and hand are sore. This normal. The deep scrapes are already healing. I am able to apply gentle pressure today to both feet. Last night no way! My husband carried me to the house. I'm assuming it's just a sprain that will heal as the body knows how to do.

I have no history of pain on my ankles so I really don't fear the pain to continue. My posture is off because of babying the right foot.
    My biggest tms pain i am healing is pudendal/ pelvic pain. So I am fighting off the thoughts that this twisted/ crutches walking posture I am walking in will worsen the pelvic pain that's starting to heal. I feel back pain and I use to fear the nerve pain in the pelvis from from a messed up back.

I'm just looking for encouragement to keep these evil fear of " making me worse" voices away from this recent injury.

MrNiceGuy likes this.
  2. riverrat

I'm only hoping this little injury down the steps to the sidewalk will prove to be a useful instrument of healing to reinforce the fact that I hurt myself, but it healed. Because that's exactly what the body does best, and that there's no other reason this silly girlie pain in my pelvis needs to remain when in a few days the ankle sprain will be healed. It's already improving. My pelvic floor should be learning by example...

Bodhigirl likes this.
  3. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy New Member

Yes I think you should use the incident to remind yourself that your body will heal itself. A fall can take a while to recover from, but you will recover. I know that feeling of worrying about a new ache/pain, and then focusing on the absolute worst possible (really not even possible) outcome. Maybe those of us with TMS just have a tendency to do that. Your ankle will heal, the pelvic pain will continue to improve, and you can learn to refocus and retrain your mind away from the pain. It's wise of you to use this as a positive opportunity to look at pain from a different viewpoint. It will go away!

plum, hoolie, Bodhigirl and 2 others like this.
  4. riverrat

Thank you for the encouragement mr. Nice guy!

MrNiceGuy likes this.
  5. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I have hurt my neck from an accident and it is slow to heal. I am working on pushing out those negative catastrophic thoughts and will speak to my tms therapist about it today. I will let you know what advice she gives me.

hoolie, Bodhigirl and riverrat like this.
  6. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Perfect words for me. I hurt myself last evening on a spin bike with different seat and settings than my bike at home. So I have the perfect TMS Storm. Achey muscles, different bed (no memory foam!), gigantic hard pillows, sleeplessness, anger and fear of being exhausted and ruining our much needed vacation... Fear that I am deteriorating, worry about my baby horse back home who has a sunburned back!!! Fear of a re-run of my back going out (pre-Sarno/Schubiner recovery) in Nice and ruining a vacation eight or more years ago!
    Big fear. Anger at the box springs! Wow, I am so spoiled!!!

I am a ball of TENSION and worry and FEAR and... Needy, too.
    I am accepting that I am stiff but there is NOTHING WRONG WITH ME. I am good enough there is enough wonderful stuff around me, there is enough love, enough food, enough sun and ocean, enough rest and a good book to read, enough massage therapists to work on me whenever I just ASK.
    I am always and forever grateful to you all. Beacons and reminders of the solution we live in, one day, one flare up, one tense moment at a time. Peace.

plum likes this.
  7. Bodhigirl

Pelvic floor pain is the worst. I relate! Sometimes I just need a good stretch! Deep breath and acknowledging the tension! A long, pelvic stretching asana... Held while meditating.
    Whether I need it or not. I do them every single day. A good reminder that I skipped them yesterday due to a very early flight out of town. Wow, no wonder I am tight and hurting! Thank you!

8. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

It's been a rough week for this! I have similar post from Monday after a fall off my bike. I went from elated to be riding to spiraling through doubts, fears, and self abuse. I'm working on bringing these negative thoughts into the light and arguing with them. If I have time to get back on later, I'll link to @AnitaV s success story, since she addressed real vs TMS injury. Her words have been helpful.

9. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi Riverrat...

This is the quote from @AnitaV :

"Also, I was never afraid of doing too much or of "overdoing it", because Dr. Sarno explained so well how that simply isn't possible. Our body is incredibly resilient, and we do not hurt it by doing everyday things. And, very importantly, when we do hurt our body, it recovers quite fast.

This was really important for me to remember when I started exercising, about four months into my recovery. I started with yoga, and then started ballet as well. I was out of shape, atrophied, and very stiff when I started, so it would certainly have been easy to hurt myself. But it didn't matter, because I knew that if I did, I would get better. I had nothing to fear. I remember once I landed a jump badly in ballet, and my knee started to hurt a lot. I kept thinking, is this TMS, or did I really hurt my knee? Then I realized, it doesn't matter. I should just think about what is bothering me, as I always do. If it's TMS, it will go away. And if I actually hurt my knee, then guess what? It will go away too! Either way, there is nothing to fear! Sure enough, my knee stopped hurting the next day."

I bolded the parts that are helping me this week. Good luck, we will all be ok :)

riverrat likes this.
  10. riverrat

Thank you hoolie! I had not even stumbled across anitav's story yet. Thanks for introducing me! I know confidently I will get through this because the pelvic pain is absolutely tms that came on after an emotionally turbulent series of events that for me, continues from fear. You are right honey, we will all be ok.
    The recent stupid fall and ankle sprain sucks but it is an acute injury so I know it will heal too. If it's done one thing the last couple days is that it forced me to relax, meditate, and slow down my overloaded nervous system by relaxing and staying off the foot! ;) soothing my nervous system is something I need help working on! :)

hoolie likes this.
  11. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I spoke to my therapist yesterday and she helped me to get this in perspective. Basically people with a healthy regard of their bodies when injured decide whether they are improving or not, and based on their evidence, they will visit a doctor or not. They will not wallow in the preoccupation of the pain or symptoms. Once that decision is made, they get on with other aspects of life and not add fear or worry to the healing. When the doubts come up have the same conversation with yourself.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Ellen and plum like this.
  12. Bodhigirl

13. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

Dr. Sarno would say that your pelvic pain does not really need to heal. There was never anything wrong with it. You have a healthy pelvis and the pain is being caused by emotions. So think psychologically and remember that you have a healthy body other than your bumps and scrapes which are temporary.

birdsetfree and riverrat like this.
  14. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a very insightful point and I thank you for sharing it.

Plum x

birdsetfree likes this.
  15. Lady Phoenix

16. Bodhigirl

"I kept thinking, is this TMS, or did I really hurt my knee?" Thank you! I laughed out loud in the airport lounge.

The thing with the pelvic pain is that I Was Hurt For Real and damaged by a horribly botched surgery when I was 19 which leaves me with scars and defects that are medically real. I wish they were not.

Everything else is TMS. I probably had it before my real illness. As a kid. Always worried if I was okay, good enough, sound.

Today? Just travel anxiety. Normal human emotions. Nothing hurting. If it does, I will remember the laughter of "so what if I hurt myself?"

Bg

17. Lady Phoenix

I did not take any falls but my daughter got married last weekend and I was in terrible pain for a full week after the wedding. It's been a long time since I felt like this. Forgot how it feels. Doing great today. I guess I'm out of the woods.

18. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes! Wallowing = TMS

Lady Phoenix, birdsetfree and hoolie like this.