1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Hypermobility?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lina82, May 11, 2016.

1. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Hi!
    At the moment I'm in a pain clinic for rehabilitation for three weeks. Today there have been lectures about sleep and pain, some physical exercise in group and so on. During the day I have become more and more sure about my approach to this - about TMS and stress as the cause of pain.

But... Then I met my doctor and she mentioned that my pain might be because of my hypermobile joints. And I started doubting... So my question is: Is there anyone out there that has got the hypermobility syndrome diagnosis? Someone that has hypermobile joints, but whose pain turned out to be TMS? I'm meeting with the physiotherapist tomorrow and I would like to be more sure of myself then...

2. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Hi Lina,
    While I never got that official diagnosis, it had been suggested to me. My arms and legs have the appearance of hyperextension but that no longer causes pain. It seems to me like one of those "normal abnormalities" that is more of a coincidence than a cause. Hope this helps.

3. Sacha O.

Sacha O. Peer Supporter

Hi Lina !
    I was also been told I had hypermobile joints. My arms extend more than they should (I think it looks pretty cool actually). A chiropractor told me I would have issues because of that, but that if I reinforce my muscle, it would help. But he was an asshole, always interrupting me when I was talking, not listening, so I don't really care about what he thinks. I still reinforce my arms, but except the thrill of getting stronger, no change. Since I started TMS program, I'm doing better than I've felt in months, even if I don't see doctors anymore. They weren't helping. They were always findings new small structural problems on my body.
    I know a lot of people have hypermobile joints and never have any issues. So I wouldn't worry about that. It's easy to find structural problems on anybody who has pain, simply because nobody has "a perfect body".I recently discovered I had a small scoliosis. I started to focus on that, telling myself it was the reason of my pain. It's also because my mother has the same scoliosis and is sure it's the reason of her back pain. But she also has a depression, has a lot of anxiety dealing with her father, her job, her husband... I tried to talk to her about TMS, but she wasn't receptive : she really think her little scoliosis is the reason of her terrible back pain. I don't think about my scoliosis anymore. Why would I ? It's not the reason why my arms hurt ! Also, for the hypermobility, I never had any issues in the past, no dislocation, no nothing. Also I never work with my arms extended like that :

Photo du 45861316-05- à 12.44.jpg
    (circus music)
    Anyway, I will keep you informed of my progress if that can help your feeling you really have TMS.
    Take care !!

4. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Hi Lina and Sacha,
    My arms look just like that, and my knee joints are even more freaky looking ;). I also have scoliosis and one leg is about one inch shorter than the other with a slightly elevated hip- and I now know that none of that matters. If it did, how could I have long pain-free or minimal-pain periods? The structures of my body have not changed, yet the pain has.
    Hope that helps.

Sacha O. likes this.