1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

hyperemesis gravidarum as TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fishy, Jul 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fishy

fishy New Member

Anyone know if this condition has been discussed in terms of TMS or psychogenic causation?
    Thanks

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hmm I think that is hormonal. It's awful but with pregnancy it all passes! I honestly don't think it is TMS. If the preens is also under a lot of stress, that could aggravate the situation of course.

3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I don't know of course, but I have often wondered about this because I was very sick my entire first pregnancy and had to to take meds for vomiting. My second pregnancy I only took meds until 5 months. After learning about mindbody syndromes, I have thought about it lasting until my first was born. Also, I realize 30 years later, that it stopped when I was able to feel my second kicking consistently enough to know she was okay. Certainly this is only one story, but I do wonder.

4. fishy

fishy New Member

I wonder also. I almost died from it almost 30 years ago. My liver shut down, etc. I remember being so scared of having a child at that time and wonder if it was TMS. I am a barfy sort of gal anyway, with a stressy stomach, so it would fit. I remember the doctors in the hospital telling me they didn't know what caused HG, just that some women don't react well to the hormonal changes. This seems like a TMS red flag, though my understanding of the disorder is 30 years out of date now.
    I am not looking for blame, just trying to understand my history better. It was very traumatic and very mysterious.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes what you wrote makes sense! My guess would be that it is triggered by a cascade of hormones but there can also be a strong emotional overlay. There is a psychological component to EVERY medical issue because the brain and body are inseparable. You see this with conditions like MS for ex. Too much stress will certainly aggravate the condition.

Lizzy likes this.