1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Husband experincing pain & swelling in wrist - TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JoyceVT, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoyceVT

JoyceVT Well known member

Hello,

I have been off and on this website over the years as a runner and triathlete suffering with TMS. My husband has also dealt with TMS. Right now he is experiencing some very strange wrist pain that radiates from his thumb up through his forearm. It started out of the blue a few days ago and has gotten worse. He hasn't done anything to injure it. Normally I would say this is classic TMS but his wrist area is quite swollen. You can see the difference between both hands/wrists.

We recently did our third Ironman triathlon in Copenhagen which was a big trip and event for us. He had been suffering from Plantar Fasciitis and had a very painful Ironman marathon which he got through. Oddly enough it is almost better and it has been a little over two weeks since the Ironman. I was thinking it was the symptom imperative where it jumps to another part of the body. But the swelling has me worried. Can TMS cause swelling??

My husband is a believer in TMS and last night we were really thinking it was TMS. Then this morning it was so much worse than last night. He couldn't even swim this morning and that is a first. Could this be TMS even with the swelling? He does have a doctor's apt this afternoon to rule anything out.

Thanks in advance,

Joyce

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, TMS can cause swelling and I believe it is not uncommon.
    TMS often interferes with activities that we enjoy the most. Sometimes we are simply unaware that a certain aspect of such an activity bothers us more than we realize. Rage, fear and/or guilt are often the emotions that are lurking in the background.

3. JoyceVT

JoyceVT Well known member

The doctor is having my husband get an Xray tomorrow morning as she said it looked like it could be a fracture. But he didn't do anything to cause even a stress fracture. He did mountain bike on Sunday when it was just starting to get a bit bad. And then it go much worse from Tuesday to Wednesday (today). It's really bizarre. The doctor also mentioned a bone infection could be the cause too.

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

It's good to rule those things out, but it's highly likely to be TMS. You never know. TMS can certainly cause swelling as has been discussed other places on the forum. TMS is not just pain, it can take many different forms. Hope all is well with the imaging!

5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed with everything MindBodyPT said! Hope all is well. It can definitely be caused by emotions, but even if it's an infection or some other issue, it's important to not stress - emotions have been scientifically documented to delay physical healing!