1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Huge Flare-up and could use some advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by revwde, Sep 25, 2017.

1. revwde

revwde Newcomer

Hey everybody,

I've posted about my experience with TMS before and have experienced some good success with reading Sarno, hearing your experiences on the forum, etc. The long and short of my story is a L5/S1 hernation diagnosis that wasn't brought on by anything other than changing jobs and buying our first house, so I was glad to find TMS as a possible cause. Since discovering this work, the pain hasn't gone away, but it's definitely lessened a great deal and I didn't think about it a whole lot when it was there.

I've slowed into the "resume all physical activity" portion of the plan, mainly just jogging and doing some bodyweight exercise-type stuff, but nothing cause me to flare up. The only thing that I hadn't done that I wanted to do was barbell squats. I'd been going all pretty well, so last Friday, I decided that Leg Day had come. I was doing some light warm-ups and felt fine - squatting slowly and pausing at the bottom to loosen up my hips a little - when all of a sudden I felt my back seize pretty hard. It felt like it tightened up immediately and I've been in almost constant leg pain ever since. I've never exhibited some of the more intense symptoms of herniated that I've seen on here (not being able to sleep, etc.) until now. I've been up for a few hours each night stretching or doing anything else I can think of to help the pain subside. I would say the pain is as intense if not more than it was at the outset of my symptoms over a year ago.

Has anyone else done something like this? It's become really difficult to not attribute the intense pain to "re-injuring" that disc since I can point to the exact moment it happened. Would love any thoughts on how to proceed or what to do. Thanks in advance!

2. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

If it is safe to assume you are fine,
    -take it easy for a few days
    -self soothe
    -ignore the pain
    -think about what is really bothering you

3. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

What is it your subconscious won't let go of?

4. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

First thing is that you know you have an actual herniation. Some herniations do not touch any nerve and hence cause no pain, and could be years without anyone noticing. Now, you did something else. You did squats with some weight. You do not say how many pounds you were using and we have no way of knowing how much of weight your lower back can safely hold, since is a muscle that you are trying to actually strengthen. There are a lot of lower back exercises that can be done to slowly strengthen before adding free weights. And basically you should start squatting with the weight of your body for some time before adding anything else. Get cleared first with a doctor and some testing if you actually got something out of place, and if you did not, them you can safely re start your tms approach. Squats should be done in a non stopping move. Pausing at the bottom to "loosen your hips " could actually strain your hips muscles, specially if you are using weights of any kind. Those are my 2 cents. Wishing you quick healing.