1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Howdy!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by lovetolearn, Apr 11, 2022.

1. lovetolearn

lovetolearn Newcomer

Hi there,

I'm a professional musician with bilateral hand/forearm pain since 2013. The mindbody approach makes a lot of sense to me. I've tried many therapies and have found that the most impactful ones are where the environment is non-threatening and I feel heard and seen by the practitioner. During this program I hope to heal through hearing and seeing myself better :)

I finished reading The Mindbody Prescription last week and after that my pain immediately and acutely migrated to my left shoulder. To me, this confirms that I'm on to something. I've also found that I can modulate the pain down by gently bringing my attention to it (somatic tracking), and I will keep practicing this.

If anyone knows of musician success stories, please send them my way! Thank you for the opportunity to connect and share.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello and welcome! This sounds like pretty concrete evidence that your symptoms are primarily TMS. Symptom substitution like this is quite common and happened to me plenty of times. You are in the right place!

I am not a musician, but I did used to deal with wrist and forearm pain, soreness, and numbness along the lines of carpal tunnel syndrome. At the time, I had a stressful job that required me to work on the computer a lot, and it often flared up then. However, when writing a book for hours on my computer at home (something I enjoyed), it did not bother me. Good luck!