1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

how to work on personalities ......

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jay, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jay

jay New Member

I have been suffering from back pain for last one year even after trying everything. I suddenly came across with wiki tms and I have also read dr sarno's all three books and saw myself on every page. my personalities are all the same as dr. sarno mentioned in his book, according to him these personalities make us angry at unconscious level, so how to work on this. I need some guidance plz

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Have you had an MRI? Always take responsibility for your own health. If you've been worked-up then you probably have TMS. Most back pain is from tension.

The personality is the thing that won't let go of stress and anger. It screens everything in life through a prism of experience, some of it is corrupted memory, some of it is good. The persona develops early in life at around the same time as the superego. But you don't have to change your personality, I'm not sure you can. But you can alter how you react to daily life, and especially how you react to pain.

You can heal without digging too deep into your psyche. If you understand TMS then it's time to get to work and start becoming active with less fear. Then start soothing yourself with more joy and pleasure in life, and never try to heal your body. Just go live without fear of hurting yourself. If you can heal some relationships then that's all the better. If you can't heal them then let them go.

If you have TMS then you are angry at the subconscious level. There's work to do and things to learn, people to be forgiven. Beers to be drank (or drunk).

Good luck
    Steve

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome, Jay! I'm glad that Sarno's books brought you insight.They did for me as well.
    You may want to try the Structured Education Program, found on this wiki. I worked through the 40 days of the SEP. It's very good, and walks you through several techniques. It also contains a lot of success stories that provide hope for recovery.
    I've also read a lot of the books listed on the wiki. Some of them offered things that have worked for me. It's a "Take what you want and leave the rest" approach.
    Hope this helps!

Ellen likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jay. Steve's advice is right-on. It covers a lot in a few paragraphs.

Just don't spend a lot of time trying to heal or thinking about what repressed emotions
    may be causing your pain. Your unconscious mind always knows them, it just wants
    you to believe that 100 percent.

Just go about your life as if you had no pain. Think positive and happy thoughts.
    Laugh at any tension or stress. It releases natural pain-killing endorphins and will
    make you feel better.

Gigi's suggestion to start the SEP program is also very helpful.

Here is more good advice from Steve:

STEVE OZANICH ON TMS

If a medical examination shows your pain is not caused by structural damage, it is very likely caused by TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome), a reduction in oxygen to parts of the body caused by repressed emotions that can and usually go back to our childhood.

Steve Ozanich, author of The Great Pain Deception, says:

I think you do know what the conflict is (the repressed emotion such as anger, guilt, rejection, desertion, a perfectionist personality, physical or emotional abuse from a parent or sibling or others, etc.).

But if it's too emotionally painful, or taboo, or unthinkable, then you can't allow it to surface, thus the physical symptoms. It wants to be let go, but the TMS stops it in its tracks.

You don't have to know what "the" thing is that is causing your pain, or unpleasant symptoms. Over the past 12 years I've seen people get worse by trying to find the magic healing bullet. But it doesn't usually work. And--if you read the new Foreword that Dr. Sarno wrote, he said it was "fruitless" to try to make the unconscious become conscious.

So, I tell people to look at your current life, and to forget the past for now. Your past is what got you here, it formed your personality, and how you respond to stress in your adult life. But it's gone, temporally. So you have a certain Type T persona, and your current life has you under the gun. As I wrote, I believe it is all about relationship. Check your current relationships, and let go of the past ones. Your TMS is there due to some fragmenting of a relationships, or relationships.
    TMS occurs because of a reaction. Your physical body is reacting to something. If your body didn't react, then you wouldn't have any symptoms. But the presence of TMS shows that your body is responding. The response is to over stimulation. Most people can recognize a physical reaction to stress, and tension from stress. But they usually aren't aware of "how much" they are responding due to repression and ego. The ego covertly hides how much things are bothering us. The ego is also the thing that causes the reaction, or response. If we placed no attachment to the criticisms or rejections, in relationship, there would be no TMS. The ego is the thing that causes the over reaction.

So you have TMS because you are reacting to life. How you are reacting is how you learned to react as a child. You can change all that through letting go. Letting go is a book in itself, with many ways, and many takes.

Healing is a personal thing, in that, no one can show you how to forgive, or to have faith or belief. No one person can tell someone how to have courage and strength. Those things come through personal revelations within the self.

This struggle you go through to gain peace inside is life itself. This is what life is all about, the overcoming of fear and darkness through personal struggle. You don't want to jump to the end, you want to live each day turning the pages slowly, growing.

But, there are core concepts that we all can follow. Let go, laugh more, help others, stay physically active, and socially engaged, live with a purpose, stick with a daily transparent act, never think of the body, see light where darkness exists, and BELIEVE you will be ok.