1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to Reprogram Your Mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I liked this. The picture it shows is a little off the wall, but I think that that amping up your expressions is just 'a thing that you do' on YouTube. I did it on my success story video, too, to help hold people's attention.

When I first saw the title of the video, I didn't expect it to be very science-based, but I think that a lot of what he said is consistent with the direction that a lot of current science is heading in.
    • I liked how he referred to system 1 and system 2. I'm reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" right now by Economics Nobel laureate Daniel Kahnemann and it is terrific. It talks about the two systems as well. In fact system 1 is the "thinking fast" system and system 2 is the "thinking slow" system, so in some sense I've summarized the whole book.
    • His approach is very much what I would call "present based" In that they focus on your current thoughts rather than digging up the deep past. (See this post and this post for some reasons why I think that we do this too much.) Present based-approaches, like CBT and mindfulness are gathering a tremendous amount of research support, and based on what the guy in the video suggests, I think he's been reading some of the same books that I have been reading.
    • I like that his approach is emotional and experiential despite being present based. Most of the best new approaches seem to have an experiential component, and I think that's a good thing.
    Anyway, Herbie thanks for sharing.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.