1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to Reframe Negative and Limiting Beliefs

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

How do you let go of negative thoughts and limiting beliefs? Draw a line down the middle of a piece of notebook paper, then write all your limiting beliefs on one side of the line that you can think of and all your negative thoughts on the other side of the line you drawed. Next look at your limiting beliefs, they might be I'm out of shape, I hurt all the time, no one understands me, I'll always be over weight and I'm getting old. Remember these will look as truths in your life but in reality these are beliefs you are limiting yourself with, you have to believe in your heart you are at your best weight so you can loose weight, so instead of thinking I'm fat, change that belief to I'm getting better and stronger in my mind and body, I can start a walking program and loose all the extra weight I want, I am in control of my weight, I am beautiful. See how these new beliefs are empowering, it's the reframed empowering thoughts that get you to bring those thoughts into reality. Next look at your negative thoughts, I'm so insecure, no one likes me, I'm tired all the time, will I ever feel like exercising? Reframe these thoughts to I'm full of security, everyone loves me, I have vast amounts of energy, I feel like exercising CAUSE I pay no attention to any doubts, I focus on my energy and I feel great. This is how you will change your perceptions, thus changing your thoughts and thus changing your actions and your reality, if you want change begin with your beliefs and negative self talk and work it out the way I have it taught above, in a few weeks you will thank me.
    Bless you.
    Eric Watson 2014

2. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for sharing! I realised I've been getting stuck into thinking "I'm tired all the time" when actually that's not true. I can still exercise and went on a lovely bush walk today, so I'm going to keep persevering. I know that I naturally have buckets of energy, when I'm not affected by TMS!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

That is also my biggest problem negative thoughts. I wake up in the morning and bang I start my day with negative thoughts it's a terrible cycle. I will what you said Eric thx

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent suggestions, Eric. Before getting out of bed each morning I thank God I am alive and able to do that,
    and tell myself, "It's going to be a good day. A great day. No pain, no problems."

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I woke up this morning with a prayer a positive affirmation and went to yoga came back meditated for 5 min ate breakfast did my 13 day of sep wrote my unsent letter any BANG the pain started it feels like anytime I start journaling the pain punches me in the face. What gives?

6. Raynor91

Raynor91 New Member

Awsome stuff Eric, I will give it a go because that's one of my problems, is that I tend to always think negative.

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Try not journaling for a few days then start back, if you hurt then you know the journaling is trying to give you a breakthrough

nowtimecoach likes this.
  8. blake

blake Well known member

I love your post Eric. Thank you. That part about getting older made me realize that I had reframed getting older without really realizing it. When I turned 41, I started getting really depressed about getting older; I saw my body start changing and I made me feel like I had wasted my life, so why even bother now. Pretty grim, right? I don't know when it happened, maybe after doing the SEP and all that journaling, but one day I realized I no longer felt that way. Now I look at older women who are doing wonderful things and I think to myself : one day that will be me doing great things too. It feels like there is so much more waiting for me.

I like the idea of trying to challenge these negative thoughts through a writing exercise. I will definitely be giving it a try for other limiting beliefs.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I know I'm very fortunate. I didn't start to think I was old until I turned 80. I'm 84 and a half now,
    not sick, not on any medication, got rid of back pain by learning about TMS and Dr. Sarno.

You're a young man, Blake. The 40s are great years and so are the 50s, 60s, 70s, and even the 80s.
    I've learned more about myself in the past two years of TMS knowledge than I did in all the earlier years.

Life is good. God is Great.

10. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

As I age and find some new surprise of stiffness or lack of strength, new wrinkles, sagging skin... I always remind myself "I will never be this young again!" It works every time to lift my spirits. It helped me tremendously to spend a lot of time with my dad in his 80's and 90's. He gave me the gift of perspective.

11. blake

blake Well known member

Thanks guys! I love and always look for people who have positive things to say about getting older. I find it so uplifting! I read an article about a study they did a while back which found that older people in good health are actually happier than younger ones, presumbly because they know who they are, the live in the moment and they do what makes them happy, truly happy. Gotta like that!

12. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

This is great. Will definitely try this out.