1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to know whether something is an extinction burst

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gregam3, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Gregam3

Gregam3 Newcomer

I almost completely recovered from my 2 year TMS in my hands over the last few months, I've got back to the gym and a pain has arisen in my finger.

The issue is I'm not sure whether this new finger pain is an extinction burst or an actual minor physiological issue. Obviously the problem is if I treat it as a physiological issue and it's neural pathway pain from an extinction burst I'll be reinforcing it rather than letting it heal.

Any suggestions or similiar experiences?

My current plan is to rest it for 3 days and if it's not better by then just to continue with regular life and assume it was from an extinction burst.

P.S. this site was my primary resource in fixing my TMS and I couldn't be more grateful.

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I am wondering what physiological issue with your finger could be hurt by just assuming it is TMS. When I first got remarried 10 years ago, I had a pretty severe pain when I opened and closed my hand in my left ring finger. It was before I knew about TMS and lasted about a year. Seems really funny and obvious to me now.

3. Gregam3

Gregam3 Newcomer

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying but it seems like you're asking what "trauma" could have caused it? The initial TMS was brought on by an actual minor injury in which I became increasing stressed about. No such stressful event has occurred to do with my finger. However to my knowledge, extinction bursts do not necessarily appear in places that make sense.

4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. No, sorry, I was not trying to ask about a potential structural cause for the finger pain. What I was asking is do you think it would be dangerous to just treat your finger pain as TMS. I tend to treat most new pains as TMS unless I have a compelling reason to get it checked out.

5. Gregam3

Gregam3 Newcomer

I'm worried that continuing that behaviour (the gym) that could have caused it to arrive in the first place (if it's a physiological issue) could cause it to worsen. That's why I thought I'd rest it for a few days as if its a physiological issue it should heal up by then.