1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle your trigger...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Annette K., Sep 3, 2016.

1. Annette K.

Annette K. New Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how you handle situations where a scary pain trigger simply cannot be avoided.
    I have diagnosed myself with TMS a few weeks ago (10 years of back pain) and I am having a hard time gradually resuming physical activity. I certainly do not expect to heal overnight and I would like to give myself time to unlearn my pain. The thing is, I live alone after my longterm-relationshiop ended very badly last year and there is noone to ask if there is something I cannot do myself.
    I find that very frustrating! I even lived with my parents for a while and am now trying to find my way back to a normal life, looking after myself. Today my cleaning lady, whom I hired during the worst period of pain, stood me up for the third time. Apart from being angry about that I am feeling simply desperate. My appartment is messy and there are certain things which involve an amount of bending and stretching which make me really afraid, because I am still in pain most of the time.
    I know that there is nothing wrong with my back but I feel that I am not able to handle some of the more persistent trigger yet. It is going to hurt if I clean my floor, f.e.
    The only thing I can come up with is not fighting the pain. I will just try cleaning telling myself that my back is fine and that I am simply conditioned to expect pain and do as much as I can.
    What do you think? How do you handle a situation like this?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, this is the strategy that I recommend. Our conscious brain can eventually override the unconscious, but it can take some time and repetition. Start small so you don't overwhelm yourself. Then build on your success.

Best wishes....

3. Annette K.

Annette K. New Member

Good news: I spent the afternoon on my knees scrubbing my bathroom and I am ok. I haven`t been able to do that myself for six months; it felt like slaying a dragon. I took a lot of small breaks and told myself many times that it is a normal activity and not dangerous. My back is sore but the pain is bearable. I am proud and relieved, actually.

MrNiceGuy, MWsunin12 and Ellen like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations! You are on your way!

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy New Member

That is so great! Don't let go of that success. You can do it.