1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to get family on board?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rabbit, Feb 5, 2015.

1. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

Anyone have suggestions as to how to get family members on board in understanding TMS, or even if they have doubts and questions how to be supportive? Especially those who are pretty tired of my long standing issues with pain and probably thinking, wow, this will never end and this is just some new thing. I guess I'm also trying to figure out what it is I would need or want from them in the first place... not even sure. I think it might just be acceptance that the pain is still there and still limiting me (and thus them and their lives) I'm trying to be patient with myself so I guess I'm asking for others to be patient too when it seems their patience may have run out. (I think right there is a people pleasing worrying what others think statement) To be honest and fair, I've put my family through a lot. In the process of ruling out actual structural issues, but I'm pretty sure its all TMS and these methods will work for me. I wonder too if the very pressure I'm putting on myself to be better and pain free and not limited is actually hindering the process....

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

All I can suggest is, don't expect your family to embrace TMS philosophy and be more supportive.
    TMS is a wonderful but mostly solitary journey, discovering the repressed emotions that Dr. Sarno says
    cause us physical pain.

You may have to "put on a happy face" on your TMS journey. The more you believe in TMS causing your pain,
    the better you will feel and the more relaxed you will look to your family. You can do this by spending more
    time thinking about and doing things that make you happy. If you think about your pain, you project gloom and doom,
    and others pick up on it.

Smile more, laugh more. It's very therapeutic and "catching."