1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to focus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by leonardo999, Sep 12, 2013.

1. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

Whilst I am happy that I am managing to exercise at the moment with little or no problem with low back (usually drops me every week for past 20 years) the pelvic symptoms or urgency and pain in all areas of that zone have increased quite a bit. I can tell that the weird nerve scraping pain is the same for all the body parts involved,,internally. A creeping gripping sore tension. I really could scream...or sleep for years.
    Im not doing great with the journaling due to higher pain level this week... and wondered also how can I focus on aspects of my life... when it almopst seems that my whole life has made me angry and reclusively depressed.
    Thankssssssssss !!!
    Leooooo

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey you,

Scream. Sleep. Then do nothing. Give yourself a break from all the figuring stuff out and do nice things. I had a horrible flare-up this week and I'm taking my own medicine (with lashings of sugar). I feel better for it too. Lose yourself in music.

Ellen and tarala like this.
  3. leonardo999

Awww Hi Plum.... sorry you had problems..... Thanks for the reply..... I have been putting the pain aside this week and playing a lot and some recording.... omg pain makes me sweat though and panic... but Ive been telling it its nothing but pain,,, and I will leave it to fade...... then if it inceases I panic.... and read and read.......
    Thanks ! best wishes to you..
    Leo

tarala likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

David soothed King Solomon by singing and playing his lyre (or was it a harp?)

Wow, did Solomon have a lot of TMS pain from repressed emotions!

Music doth really soothe the savage beast inside us.

5. leonardo999

Music is one thing that I am in control of.... but the weight of the guitar didnt do me any favours over the past 20 yrs.
    Hope youre doing ok... and the dog.
    Leo

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it's very good to try one of the structured programs (like the SEP on this site or Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain) because it breaks things down for you so you are only focusing on one aspect at a time. Otherwise it can be truly overwhelming. Also, I have found that it is good to have a routine to follow in "working the program" that is independent of one's pain level. Otherwise the pain is in charge. The journaling was most helpful to me when I least felt like doing it.

But I also agree with Plum and Walt, that sometimes you just need to take a break, soothe yourself, and relax. No routine or program should become obsessive.

Hoping you feel better soon....

7. leonardo999

Hello Ellen.... nice to meet you....
    Thanks for the reply and the information.
    Yes right now overwhelming pain and discomfort would cover it nicely...
    Im going to do one of the programs here but have been slow to get started..No excuse really other than reading a lot about TMS... and letting the pain get too much grip on me.

Always appreciate help... so thanks Plum/Walt/ Ellen

Hope youre all good and will have a peaceful weekend.
    Leo

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

leonardo999- How do I focus on specifics when I want to lash out at it all

Eric)- its like when your writing a lecture for school - you want all 59 papers to be written already
    but the only way to even get started is 1 sheet at a time till were done.
    See, if I want to tackle lifes stressors I have to focus on 1 issue at a time
    I learned this lesson from a pavlonian Dr.

He told me I had my thoughts on to many things at once and to think about 1
    thing at a time, well I did just that and the nervous sick feeling I had then went away
    So its very important to condition yourself to 1 issue at a time
    and use acceptance to get through that situation.

Im here for you Leonardo,

God Bless you....

nancy likes this.
  9. leonardo999

Hello Eric
    You are totally right.... I always find it hard to do one thing at a time.. and I usually go from one to the next to the next..without actually completing anything... one exception being my song writing. I will work on that even without eating or sleeping if its burning a hole in my head.
    Ok... so I will treat each past problem in its isolated state... and then move to the next and the next.. and make sure each is completed before I move on.

Will work on it that way from today......

Thanks for the information... appreciate your time.
    Have a good wekend,,,,, best regards...Leo

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

thank You leo
    You wrote the solution out better
    than the book I read.
    Im gonna post this to my wall ok
    Thanks Leo- have a Great Weekend