1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

how to find that last piece of the puzzle

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stevow7, Aug 14, 2017.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

hello guys! so after reading a lot of success stories and doctor sarnos book i improved a lot. i havent sense low back pain in a while, but heres the thing, i now have tingling in my left leg that comes and goes. its not severe or anything, but its annoying not to think about it once in a while.
    how did you guys get rid of your tingling, pain, etc.
    its the last piece of the puzzle to complete my full recovery for now.
    does that mean im supressing an emotion?
    (herniated disc l4-5 s1)

2. TheUndyingMind

TheUndyingMind Peer Supporter

Perhaps your mind is still deceiving you by having a conditioned response since you had a herniated disc.

For me, I have fasciculations in my calves. Whenever I read a book about TMS it would go haywire which is how I also knew it was related. This knowledge helped me to decondition my mind into knowing it's nothing serious and a majority of the time now it doesn't act up.

stevow7 likes this.
  3. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

it seems that my mind is always looking for the tingling. when i dont think about it, its not there. but for whatever reason i come back and think about the tingling and the tingling comes back on.
    i tried to concentrate on other things, but its hard to not focus on that tingling. i need to find that conditioned response ;/ its hard.

after reading the books i can now bend over, run, went today to the gym, and have done things that i have been condtioned not to do. i still have a lot of other conditioned stuff to fix (sleeping with no pillow under knee, still a bit scared to bend over, still scared to run). is it possible that if i manage to clear this fears my tingling can go away?

TheUndyingMind likes this.
  4. TheUndyingMind

TheUndyingMind Peer Supporter

Oh yeah, it can absolutely be defeated. I just recently slept without a pillow between or under my legs for the first time in a long time and didn't have those sensations in my calves anymore. Now I only use a pillow for comfort and not because I think it's helping with anything.

I think the most important thing you need to remind yourself is that the tingling comes and goes & changes intensity. These are clear signs it's TMS related and not something structurally wrong. If it were the latter it would be an all or nothing thing. Keep reassuring yourself and eventually the mind's eye will lose focus.

Also, practice breathing as you lay in bed at night. I noticed I was pausing and not taking full breathes, learning to consciously control your breathing will ease your subconscious anxiety/fear and in turn help dial the symptoms down.

stevow7 likes this.