1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

how to escape this anger treadmill?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nowa, May 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I have had another bad night and after about 2 hours sleep woke at 4.30am with the usual inexplicable anger, anger about everything and everyone, including myself, but the anger is so universal, I can't stand anyone or anything so how can I deal with it. there's nothing I want to do apart from get some sleep, and bad nights always rev up my symptoms, or the anger does, but if I could lose this anger and be a little kinder to myself, I think it would help.

It is the generality of it that puzzles me, if it were directed at one thing, I could at least understand it.

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

In an old post written by Eric 'Herbie' Watson he says (the block capitals are his and aren't my embellishment),

"WHEN YOU FEEL THE EMOTION OF ANGER, ALLOW IT WITHOUT BEING ANGRY AT IT. Don't Judge it or fight against it, just be without criticism to it and feel the emotion without fear of it....the anger will dissipate."

Until I read this I hadn't realised that I was angry at feeling angry...and that realisation's helped me a lot with my own anger. Your anger may be arising from buried stuff that you may never uncover, but I gather/understand that to recover from TMS and become symptom free, you don't have to actually know exactly what's been buried. The important thing is to let yourself feel the emotion when it rises to the surface - from the rage beneath. I believe Dr Sarno attributed TMS/symptoms to buried rage. (I'm still a work in progress with all this, so I cannot back things up with a tale of my own personal recovery experience - but I'm ever hopeful!)

Boston Redsox, Baseball65 and nowa like this.
  3. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thank you, that is very helpful, I will try and do it.

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hit it out of the park!

nowa and BloodMoon like this.
  5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

but 'hitting it'sounds angry??

Baseball65 likes this.
  6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a colloquial expression. Means he's spot on.

nowa likes this.
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Great quote, very condensed. Feel it, allow it, don't have to fix it, defend your right to have it, don't worry about that you have it, it is natural and to be expected...

nowa and BloodMoon like this.