1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to approach constant symptoms or pain?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by yoyo12, Jul 6, 2017.

1. yoyo12

yoyo12 Peer Supporter

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know how to deal with 'constant' symptoms or pain? Most info and tips come from the perspective of flare ups and looking for triggers and emotional underpinnings at the time of these. My symptom (Dry eyes, veinyness) is constant (I'm sure it's TMS, I've consulted multiple ophtalmologists that found nothing wrong + how it came about follows a classic TMS pattern). It does get worse or less bad throughout the day but it's ALWAYS there. I've read many books on TMS already and scanned the forums but I have yet to find some practical tips for approaching a symptom that's constant. Anyone? Thanks!

2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

Constantly ignoring the symptoms. Pursuing personal/spiritual growth.

yoyo12 likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well most of us who are traditional back pain sufferers were in pain constantly when we first read Sarno. It was certainly not 'flare-ups' though there was a pattern to the pain. Just like Sarno recommends pain killers for people in a Gnarly acute attack, you might want to use eye drops if you are having a 'stronger' awareness/irritation of the issue.

My eyes are dry a lot, but I was warned they would be when I had an elective surgery (to see curveballs and sliders BETTER). I just use that sort of expensive eye-gel crap. It's like 30 bucks for a little container and it blurs your vision temporarily, but it feels awesome!

But that is just symptomatic treatment. As Jaumeb said above me, The one little ditty that I always use is that Sarno recommended "Turning your mind to a distasteful subject like a financial or personal problem". That tells the symptom that you no longer need it's help in distracting you from the realm of your emotions. YOU are taking charge and it is straight up RE-conditioning. I know it might be hard at work, or when you are involved in a responsibility, and it CAN bum you out, but as a temporary therapy to permanently get rid of TMS It is the Keystone of my own recovery...

Refute the diagnosis (you already have) Return to activities, Re-condition your mind. The Three R's of TMS recovery

yoyo12 likes this.