1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides How Our Thoughts Can Impact Pain Levels - study

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Peter Zafirides, May 7, 2012.

1. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested in the results from the latest John's Hopkins University study on how thoughts affect level of pain:

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2012/...titude-about-chronic-pain-may-help-you-sleep/

Yes it is a small study, but it is further evidence of the mind-body connection.

But then again, they could have saved themselves a ton of time and just interviewed Dr. Sarno anytime over the last 30 years... :)

Just FYI,
    Dr. Zafirides

Forest and Enrique like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this Dr. Zafirides. This really backs up the reason to Think Psychological and not worry so much about our symptoms. Of course it would be a lot better if they took the the next step and discussed PPD. I know in my own recovery when I stopped worrying, focusing, and obsessing about my symptoms so much, my pain faded away. This is evidence that if we change how we view our symptoms, we can overcome them. Of course, I'm not too sure if I could have done this without knowing about PPD. If you still think you have a physical problem, you will still probably think physical. PPD helped me understand that I did not have to fear my symptoms, because there was nothing structurally wrong with me. Accepting PPD is the path to change your attitudes about your symptoms.

Thanks again for posting this Dr. Z. It is great to see science finally start to catch up to the life changing ideas of Dr. Sarno.

3. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Forest,

No problem! Happy to do it. Science is coming around to the mind-body connection. While it may take a while for this to happen on a societal level, individual responses to the TMS/PPD approach is why all of here do what we do. We should never doubt how truly powerful we are.

4. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

I really enjoyed your show about your Existentialist therapy. You mentioned that you did it in response to a listener request and I was wondering if you might consider doing a show on how to feel your feelings more without getting overwhelmed. We've been discussing it here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/how-do-you-feel-your-feelings-and-still-think-positively.221/ and I think a lot of us struggle with it. TMS theory says that we have pain because we aren't feeling our feelings enough, but sometimes trying to feel the feelings only makes things worse. I describe what I'm talking about in the discussion I linked to, and I was wondering if you might be willing to talk about the issue in one of your shows.

5. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

this is the step im working on right now. thanks for posting this Dr. Zafirides. this is probably the hardest part to do in my opinion is to stop worrying, focusing and obsessing because those are all traits i have. its great to see that society and science is finally starting to see the mind body connection more clearly and once it becomes more and more accepted i think you'll start seeing people healing at a rapid rate.