1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How much physical pain are you in / have been in ?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by rabbit, Mar 14, 2015.

1. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

What I'm really struggling with right now is how truly physically painful this is. Like sometimes its so bad I want to cry. At least several, if not more, hours a day, on a day where i don't have something to keep my mind fully occupied. My busy often stressful job is a true outlet and blessing right now. Hope I didn't just jinx it!

I know in my personal life it would be fair to say I'm "in crisis" (don't want to go into the details)
    I'd rather be sad, angry and go out with my friends to distract myself and cope, than be in too much pain to walk to meet them or walk a few blocks to a coffee shop with them.

I am not feeling the feelings I would expect from this basically ongoing "crisis" [that caused the back and leg pain that I realized was TMS in the first place] but I really would like to if it would stop the pain. I think I'd rather feel the worst sadness I could ever imagine feeling than have this much physical pain so often and to a degree, controlling my life. Ideally, if I've got to deal with all this, how about some medium pain and medium sadness :) That would be ok by me! .

I'd love some tips on how to cope when the pain crosses the line from tolerable to intolerable. Whatever "intolerable" happens to mean - because, technically, I'm tolerating it, despite wanting to cry from the pain and having a horrid time walking to the grocery store. Interesting, being in the grocery store, focusing on what i needed to buy, TMS brain was distracted enough and the pain was far less. Amazing.

I know its ok to take some painkillers (for me, Aleve), maybe its that simple.

With this particular bout, sitting is ok, standing and walking are the problem. Of course, a few months ago, it was the opposite.... TMS evidence if I ever saw any!

So maybe my question is further refined: how to cope with intolerable pain while walking or how to distract myself while walking. Music helps, but not as much as buying groceries, apparently.

Thanks!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

When walking or standing with pain, I've found it most helpful to tell myself a positive mantra,
    like "I can do this. It's a piece of cake," and remind myself that the pain is not fatal or
    being made worse by standing or walking.

Telling yourself the pain is intolerable is keeping the pain coming and intensifying it.
    Tell yourself the opposite, that the pain is not much and you can tolerate it.

Switch your mind off the pain and onto something pleasant or rewarding.

You've already discovered the pain is MindBody when you say you didn't feel it as much
    when you were grocery shopping because your mind was on shopping.
    The secret is in focus and distraction.

But try to discover the emotional cause of your pain. What repressed emotion(s) are causing it?

3. Markus

Markus Guest

I'm having a great deal of pain tonight. I've been reading, forcing my mind to talk to the brain but, having to think tomorrow will be better.