1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How many times

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Boston Redsox, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Is there any benefit in doing the SEP multiple times? I have done it twice already

2. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

I am on my second times, as well. I am in a much b etter place than I was several weeks ago. It is helping me validate what I am learning about TMS. I'm not completely pain-free yet, but I may as well be. See, I no longer fear my pain. I know this may sound a little crazy or presumptuous, but I really know my pain will be gone soon. It is just a matter of time that my brain will accept this 100%. I am not completely sure why I have been feeling like this lately, but my best guess is I am seeing things about myself much clearer. Going thru the SEP again is allowing me to catch some things I must have missed the first time or I am just gaining a better understanding. I really think the key here is KNOWING exactly what is causing the pain (the physiological processes going on, since that is my educational background). This has given me a deep confidence in the TMS diagnosis. Plus, I have done too many things the past several weeks that I really didn't think I could do or just feared to do.
    Another thing that has helped is the journaling. It has allowed me to admit things that I would not usually admit, not even to myself. For example, I feared lifting too heavy. I used the excuse of having a quarter of my spine cut out to not perform as well as I was capable of doing. I learned that it is OK to admit to things I once viewed as weaknesses. You know....like being a real human being :)) I also learned a great deal about why I do things and react to things. I sort of took pride in my friends and colleagues viewing me as a Perfectionist. I saw it as being competitive, but if the truth be told, it is due to a very deep insecurity that started in my childhood. Whatever grabbed my interest, I would overwork, overthink, and become obsessed. That has helped me become successful in some things (which obviously, I am very proud), but it was always that scared, insecure little kid deep inside of me that pushed to exhaustion.

Sorry for the rant, but going thru the SEP for the second time is what is helping me organize all this information in my brain. Yes, in my case it's OCD, but that is the reason for my TMS in the first place, as well as overcoming it :))

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I can definitely see the benefit in repeating the SEP. But have you also tried Dr. Gordon's TMS Recovery Program? Maybe if the SEP isn't helping right now, another program will. I'm always on the lookout for new resources, both printed and digital.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I have scanned its but its not like the SEP its mainly reading and listening to sessions? or am I missing the point?