1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to get better

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Meblue, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Meblue

Meblue New Member

I'm curious how long it takes for most people to see results. What about people who have been dealing with chronic pain/sensations for several years - does it take the same amount of time to get better if this pain/depression spiral has gone on for 4 years or more?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno used to say (and I agree) that most of the symptoms will be gone in a few weeks. I was 'out of service' for 18 months, though I'd had other TMS things revolving for years... I got better in about 3 weeks, and I was back at heavy labor in 5.

The results seem to correspond to how much stuff is repressed and how scary it is. Sarno said people with Fibro or really tenacious TMS often were victims of abuse in childhood.

But yeah, the simple answer is 2-4 weeks.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It doesn't matter for how long you have had TMS. What matter is how quickly you solve the puzzle. The worst thing to do is to set a timeline. I set mine at 3 months, but it took me 2 years. My pain started going down in about 3 months, but I had dystonia (uncontrollable contraction of the muscles) and that took 2 years.

nowa likes this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The faster you want to get better, the longer it will take. The more you focus on living your life on your terms as your authentic self, and the less you focus on getting rid of the pain, the faster it will take. The more indifferent you are to how long it will take, the better off you will be. When you start caring more about your life and less about the pain...the tms strategy will fade out on it's own. The duration of your pain, the type of symptoms you have, the label you were given by doctors, the event that triggered it are ALL wholly irrelevant to healing.

TG957 and nowa like this.
  5. TG957

Ditto! Well said!

miffybunny likes this.
  6. Mark1122

Mark1122 Well known member

I tried it and shit got so bad i couldnt stand it anymore. I AM scared i am killing myself by resuming Activity like all is okay when i absolutely dont feel like it. Pain gets unbearable and heart flutters like crazy. Im too scared to do everything i want. I tried it with in mind its Just TMS but i couldnt go on since the exhaustion, flutters and pain got insanely bad in the month i tried.

I AM so fucking scared. But i know i AM scared in general. Im scared to die as well. Maybe i should be okay with dieing maybe IT all stops there. In scared to die of a heart attack. I had this fear before any symptoms and now i have palpilations and flutters getting worse and worse in 8 years time. As did my pain and fatigue, exhaustion etc. As did my fear.

I feel like shit wether i care OR not. Sorry this post just got this out of me.

7. TG957

Mark, judging by your recent posts, you are in a state of extreme anxiety. I am so sorry it has come to this for you. Your symptoms are terrifying, but the cause is your fear and anxiety, and you clearly know this. The only way out is to calm down your nervous system. What are you doing to help your nervous system?

miffybunny likes this.