1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How far is too far with mouse finger RSI?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hi guys, I have had problems using a mouse for 3 years. I also had other problems in the body which I asked about in this forum and I received tremendous help from yall's responses. In the past 4 months my pain reduced significantly due to my belief in TMS.

So, I had reduced pain everywhere, including my forearm and fingers. I went from not being able to use a mouse for 5 minutes, to using it for hours everyday, just from reading The Mindbody Prescription. However, I have been stuck at home with nothing to do but use a PC.

This means I have been using the mouse, a lot. The question is, how much is too much? Am I supposed to slowly ramp up? If I had the choice I would be on my PC 8+ hours a day coding(my passion). But, I don't know what healthy limitations or perspectives are regarding TMS.

Is mouse finger pain 100% TMS and should I just ignore it with indifference?

Please let me know your thoughts!
    Thanks guys

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had an RSI diagnosis myself, which ended up being 100% TMS. I describe the way I returned to full use of my hands as "push and pull". I pushed until I found resistance from my mind and body, and then I pulled back for a little while, then pushed again. After some time, you learn how to trust yourself and figure out your pace. You know by now that your pain is TMS, so you have nothing to fear but the fear itself!

By the way, RSI diagnosis so common among coders and gamers is definitely a false positive! Most of people in our profession (I am one of them too) are obsessive perfectionists, which is a major TMS trait.

3. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

thank you that really helps!