1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How Does This Work ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RikR, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

The Sarno theory is that pain is caused by repressed emotions stressing the central nervous system and then reducing oxygen to the muscles causing pain.

Basic physiology 101 show that stress profuses the muscles and brain with more oxygen and blood flow to prepare for flight. SPECT scans show that the brain has marked increase of blood flow and oxygen.

If anyone knows how the Sarno theory of reduced oxygen works in light of basic physiology I would be interested.

2. RikR

RikR Well known member

I just had a private response that I will answer

Heat such as a heating pad, hot bath or spa does not reach deep enough into the tissues to have a major effect on the muscles.

If heat over 40 degrees Celsius (104 F slightly above body temperature) is applied to the skin near where internal pain is felt, it switches on heat receptors located at the site of injury. These heat receptors in turn block the effect of chemical messengers that cause pain to be detected by the body.

The heat receptor, known as TRPV1, can block P2X3 pain receptors. These pain receptors are activated by ATP, the body’s source of energy, when it is released from damaged and dying cells. By blocking the pain receptors, TRPV1 is able to stop the pain being sensed by the body.

If Sarno used heat as theory to suggest oxygen depravation was the cause of pain I think he missed a bit of neurophysiology.