1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How does opening Pandora's Box help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cnote, Aug 28, 2016.

1. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

I've been jouraling... and I find myself journaling about depressing and very stressful things that have happened to me in my life.

I get angry, I start crying, I start feeling ill in my stomach... sometimes TENSE.

How does bringing up old bad shit supposed to help in the long run?

Thanks!

I'm still continuing through it though!

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Journaling doesn't help everyone heal but it does certainly play an important role in healing. Here is a link to a post I made on this subject that may help answer your question (ignore the title, the thread is mostly about stress and tms, and the point of journaling):

Stress headaches

Interestingly as a lifelong journal-keeper I found it did nothing to help me heal my pain but the act of expressive writing is a pleasure in itself. I don't focus exclusively on negative things though.

Here is another post by Steve Ozanich that clarifies a common pitfall:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/seeking-the-grail.529/ (Steven Ozanich - Seeking the Grail)

Hope this helps,

Plum

lavendertealatte likes this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Plum, you are absolutely amazing with your posts.........they are always right on target.

4. Mala

Mala Well known member

If by opening Pandora's box, u r letting out the demons & chaos that reside within u, then its not a bad thing to do but tread carefully. If u find it too overwhelming & r overcome by too many negative emotions, then perhaps u need to see someone professionally who can help go slowly & more reassuringly. Journalling works differently for different ppl & is a v useful tool but u must learn how to use it to yr benefit.

Also for many its not only the past but other factors like personality, day to day stresses & coping mechanisms which may also be triggers of TMS. These may need to be addressed & acknowledged too.

Mala

Mac07 likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Everybody is different. Some swear by journaling, others recovered without it. Crying, on the other hand, as indicated by Dr. Sarno and many others, often leads to improvement in symptoms - I am a good example. I feel that we all find our own way by way of trial and error. I would try just about anything - but watch carefully if it worth keeping as a practice. Something that I found extremely helpful is meditation (plum, your advice was priceless!). The more I meditate, the more improvements I see. I wish somebody paid my wages for meditating 8 hours a day :=)

6. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

I'm grateful for you all! :) Thanks for the feedback!

7. Mac07

Mac07 New Member

$100 Bill YO.....OH.... good ole Pandy's Box......I too have recently popped the lid as of late and have set free many of the hidden nuggets, cobwebs, demons, frustrations, anger, rage..ect.
    For me, it has been a revelation as I continue to peel back the layers and am always fascinated and sometimes alarmed at the next layer buried underneath. Journaling has been the missing piece in a sense for me, as it gives me the freedom to go for it and EXPLORE to the degree I feel willing to. I put on my headlamp, spelunking gear, hard hat and other protective gear just in case things get too heavy and I need to retreat or bookmark the discovery for another day. But for the most part, I come away with a feeling of " Holy Shit" wow that thought/emotion/resentment/rage was still lingering and wanting to be voiced, heard or listened to!!! I too have moistened my pages at times with tear ducks and written the F word more than any time in my life and that's a lot! I think it all depends on our personalities and what we feel comfortable with. Having a therapist to assist in processing some of the foraging going on under the psyche has been very helpful for me and I recommend combing the 2 if finances and time allow? Another piece that I feel is crucial when it comes to journaling is that of wrapping up on a good note of sorts and either offering forgiveness, mere acknowledgement of the discovery, or holding a meeting to check in with the different aspects of our personalities...EG..inner child, Judge, Bully ect is very helpful land helps me identify the part associated with the layer that got excavated.