1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do you know it's TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rysmith7738, Jan 14, 2019.

1. rysmith7738

rysmith7738 New Member

Hello all!

New to the forum here and I'm very excited to find out about this community.

My main question here after beginning to read the first 20-30 pages of Dr. Sarno's book is how do I know it is TMS and not due to a structural abnormality like disc fragment causing the pain?

I have been diagnosed with herniated/fragmented disc twice in my life (once when I was 20 and foolishly got a microdiscetomy) and the second when I was 26 which lasted for 6-7 months before it fully subsided. These are the only real episodes I have had of back pain in my life but TMS speaks to me because I suppose I am the perfect candidate; I have been diagnosed with gastritis (only a few months after my second flare up and actually corresponded right when the pain was going away, pain shift?), IBS, GERD, TMJ, I have escema frequently also tinnitus with no evidence of any hearing damage. On top of this as a child I was diagnosed with ADD, OCD, and as a teenager anxiety and depression. I am a super worrier and thats why I think that plus my previous medical history makes this an open shut case. I have never received a physical examination but I don't have a tumor or anything else the only thing ever detected in my pain is just the L5-S1 disc herniation. Before I resume the book and start this process I just want to make sure this TMS.

I live in the Austin area and there are no MD's who can give me a formal diagnosis so I'm not sure what to do next.. What do you guys think??

Thanks again for this community and excited to be here!

2. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Doesn't hurt to keep reading and follow Dr. Sarno's 12 points.....mentioned in his book. You haven't mentioned anything specific like you've been checked out by your regular doctor. If that person thinks your otherwise fine & it's a herniated disc then just continue...