1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know if TMS or "aging parts?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fanofsarno, Apr 9, 2018.

1. fanofsarno

fanofsarno Newcomer

I thought I have been pretty good at determining when some problem is a TMS case or an issue that truly does require medical attention but as I get older I am finding it difficult. For example, I have a swollen knee and I keep working out and not doing anything about it while I try to figure out what is going on in my mind/life. This usually works but as one ages, how do you differentiate when "parts" just start failing from a TMS issue?

Saffron likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It's always a good idea to check symptoms out with a doctor before assuming the cause is TMS. If the doctor can't find anything wrong, then treat as TMS.

3. mbo

mbo Well known member

OK , Ellen, but ....... what do you mean with «wrong»?
    Bulging or herniated discs, bone tears, ....?
    «grey hairs of the body»... according Dr. Sarno.

4. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi fanofsarno,

I believe it’s up to each of us to have our own personal list “what is and what isn’t” TMS. I am 70 years old this month and as with most people my age have many ailments that are not TMS. The book I read by Dr. Sarno “Healing Back Pain” did not specify issues young or old and was written for general TMS awareness.

I agree with Ellen regarding getting your symptoms check out, but this can create the additional problems of never ending trips to the doctor which can be impractical and expensive. Relating to other people’s experiences can also present problems especially if you have a hypochondriac personality.

Your knee pain could be the onset of minor arthritis or caused by over activity at the gym or a combination of both. The TMS personality in some cases would latch onto this site as it becomes an increasingly more of a concern to you.

May be your knee pain is telling you to stop gym activity or you could make the decision to slow down. In “Healing Back Pain” Dr. Sarno mention the natural soreness of muscles after exercise and stopped there. He did not mention the aches and pains of arthritic joints, the reduction of muscle mass or the narrowing of arteries that beset old age. He did however mention that some people have non painful arthritis which may indeed be the case.

Here is an example of one TMS item on my list:

Arthritic neck- Not TMS per se. (IMHO)

Arthritic neck- The site of my TMS tension as muscles tighten and the area becomes painful brought on by either psychological OR physical activity. In the following example I accumulate both psychological and physical tension.

I am at the top of a 20 ft ladder painting under the eaves. I hate painting but do it anyway. The fear of falling is paramount and causes tension. The act of twisting against an arthritic neck to reach awkward areas also aggravates my neck and pain sets in. I have accepted this issue is a combination of physical arthritis and TMS. My pain comes and goes and is manageable with Yoga and mindfulness. Further to this as a creative perfectionist I choose to paint for satisfaction or (soothing) of knowing the quality of painting is good.

The above is an example of work necessary to understand TMS issues in depth. My views have changed and formed over 20 years, I have at times had confusion, and split standards trying to find my “Honest” answer to my age related problems, but am happy to be old and active –

Good Luck.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Good point. My brief answer was incomplete. We need to run any information we get from a medical professional through the lens of our knowledge of medical misinformation and nocebo. Best strategy is to see a physician who is trained and knowledgeable about TMS, but it isn't always possible. Still, it is important to rule out things like cancer or other structural problems that legitimately require medical intervention. No easy task to sort it out, I agree.

Lizzy likes this.