1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do you introduce friends or family to TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tracybean, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tracybean

tracybean New Member

Hi all :)
    So after healing my chronic RSI thanks to TMS, I would simply love to introduce it to my mom who has suffered with back pain, general aches and pains, and fibromyalgia for as far as I remember. She's a TMS poster child.

She also doesn't really like change, and I could see this being a tough sell... even if she listened to my story and was happy for me.

How do you successfully share this concept with people in a way that leaves them receptive? Rather than annoyed with you ("It's not all in my head!"). I would love to sing this from the rooftops, but I generally know better than to go around offering unwanted health advice.

What's the best approach if you know someone who could REALLY benefit from this?

Do you guys find success with just buying someone the book and asking them to read it? Which book would be best?

In the beginning of my RSI journey, I read the MindBody Prescription, which I was on board with... but his explanation can sound a bit unconvincingly freudian and I didn't connect strong enough with the repressed rage thing to truly 100% believe it. It wasn't until 1.5 years later when I went through Dr. Gordon's program that it really clicked. I was healed within a week.

But is Dr. Gordon's program the best "intro" point to someone new to this? Or should I buy her Mindbody Prescription or Healing Back Pain instead? (if so, which one would be better? -- how do these books differ? )

Thanks!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi tracybean,

I simply tell people my story, often with the introduction that "this may be hard to believe, but..." And recommend reading any of Sarno's works, or send them to this site (or my website). Most people indeed can't hear Dr. Sarno's information, but many are receptive, over the years. Also, even if you're not apparently successful, your information may start a process which gets fulfilled months or years later when the friend comes across similar information. I have had this experience several times.

I initially refused to digest this information until someone sent me two books, unasked for, and I was scheduled for surgery.

Your good intentions are wonderful. Good luck!!!

Andy B

3. tracybean

tracybean New Member

Thank you Andy :)

How do you even start your story or explain it? "This may seem hard to believe... but.... I healed it with my mind! If you just stop worrying about it, it goes away!" hahah... I just can't even think of how to word this without it sounding ridiculous or even offensive. What do you lead with?

4. Andy Bayliss

I say I was scheduled for surgery and had six physician's who suggested surgery. That I would have paid someone $500 so that I could avoid walking around the block. And then I went to the desert and started meditating and reading Dr. Sarno's books as a last ditch effort. And in three months I was skiing up Mt. Shasta with seven days of food and gear on my back, for a solo wilderness retreat. And that I've been fine for 5 years since then.

Whatever your story is, it will effect someone!

5. tracybean

tracybean New Member

Thanks Andy! I think I'm struggling with how to make it convincing because my story doesn't sound quite as dramatic! :joyful:

6. Andy Bayliss

Healing yourself from RSI is dramatic!! It is life-changing, because you understand the source of chronic pain.
    Good luck in this work, from your heart to help others. Your sincerity will come through, no matter how you deliver the news!
    Andy