1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

how do you feel empowered against your pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by COgirl05, May 15, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I was just looking for ways and experiences people have with feeling empowered against their pain when it shows up and how to avoid going to that defeated place?

2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

If you type 'empowerment against pain' into the search bar, some great posts come up, which will help you. Happy reading.

3. Hanna

Hanna Newcomer

I remind myself "this pain is old. When it started, it was sending me a message. Since I missed the message back then, it sometimes reminds me." I then remind myself that things are different now, the message is unnecessary because of ____ , and I only feel the pain because of learned nerve responses and my unconscious' protective intentions, not because I've re-injured myself or am otherwise physically damaged.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I have fought pain, and still do when it arises again, by reminding myself, as Dr. Sarno writes,
    that the pain is not structural, it is caused by repressed emotions and worry. When I worry,
    I take some deep breaths and relax my body and laugh. Even if there is nothing to laugh at or about,
    I pretend and laugh. Even in less than a minute, the worries or pain go away.

5. Mala

Mala Well known member

COgirl05, sometimes u will have no control over the pain itself but you do have control over how you think about the pain which in turn has an effect on your mood which in turn will affect yr behaviour which will affect how you physically feel. So if for example when you do feel pain & your first reaction is 'Oh no this pain will never go away' then if u don't change that thought, you may end up exacerbating the pain, making it worse . However if u could just find a thought that will calm you, like 'oh i've had this before, it will go away' you will feel reassured. This feeling will make you feel slightly better, less fearful, less occupied with the the pain & as a result your reaction to the pain will be less severe since you are not as tense.

Its not an easy thing to do & it requires a constant amount of practice till it becomes almst automatic. But it will work.

Hope this helps.

Mala

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Ellen likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a wonderful way to hold the pain.

Also, don't forget that the pain is a cue to sense into your body and be aware of any emotions coming up that "don't want to be felt." And inquire into what is going on in the moment in your life that would cause difficult emotions for your inner child.

Andy B.