1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do I think psychological when it's the pain that I'm angry about?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PunDefeated, Jun 23, 2017.

1. PunDefeated

PunDefeated New Member

I've got some semi-disabling hand pain that's been going on for about 18 months. It drastically limits my computer use, which makes my job as a software engineer much harder, and prevents me from partaking in one of my favorite hobbies: playing video games.

When I feel the pain start to flare-up, I try to think psychological and determine what I'm angry about. Often times, I find I'm most upset about all the inconveniences and problems that this pain is causing me, and then I kind of get stuck in a loop, not knowing what it is I'm supposed to think about/not think about. Any advice for when it's the pain that's pissing me off?

Another thing: Before I start an activity that I have a conditioned response for (e.g. typing), I'll take a minute or two and talk to myself about why this activity shouldn't be painful. I can do more strenuous things, I typed for 15 years without pain, etc... Is this acceptable in the TMS framework of thinking psychologically and not physically? Both my therapist and doctor, who believe the pain is psychosomatic but are not familiar with TMS, have suggested this approach.

Thanks in advance!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes PunDefeated,
    This is sound practice in my experience. Nothing wrong here.

About your anger at the pain: I suggest you really allow that. I get that you feel you're in a loop because you feel you should "get to different anger," but we all just start where we are. By allowing it, exploring it, being angry at the pain ---you are being yourself. This let's off pressure. And it will then allow perhaps other insights to arise. To me the issue is the "looping" in that as much as possible, I suggest you allow feeling, and not worry about thinking, or especially thinking about whether you're doing this right! The looping mind indicates conflict and doubt, which does not help TMS. Allow!

PunDefeated likes this.