1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I know...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jullemire, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

I have been doing really well since I discovered I have TMS a little more than 2 weeks ago. However, this morning I fell down the stairs and now my left buttocks and lower back hurt like crazy. I mean this is normal since I just fell down but how will I know in a few days if the pain is supposed to still be there or if it's the TMS that "changed place" for convenience (as now my neck doesn't really hurt anymore and the focus is on my back)?

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Sorry about the fall. I think anyone would have some pain with falling down the stairs. TMS pain is something that sticks around and that we obsess about--it's different from normal pain from bruising, soreness from a new workout, etc.

Something similar happened to me recently--I broke or deeply bruised one of my toes. I was afraid it would turn into a new TMS thing but it didn't. Now that you're onto TMS even if new areas of pain come up you know what's going on.

3. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

"Now that you're onto TMS even if new areas of pain come up you know what's going on."

You're right! And it's been 4 hours since the fall and I feel much better.

Lala likes this.
  4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Julie:

Sorry you fell! I was trying to put on a boot last week from a standing position and fell right to the floor. I have lower back pain (my stress is parked there) and it hurt for many days. Still does. However I just came off the beach, breathing fresh air and running up and down the rocks. I noticed my back didn't hurt at all while I was at play. So I know this new rather annoying pain is TMS. I think I was moving too fast during the boot incident and so was awarded with a "message" to slow down and 1)think before I race out into my day 2) spend time enjoying the nature around me in the mornings, and 3) know in my heart of hearts this is TMS and not worry that I have injured myself.

Glad you are already feeling better - that is an excellent sign!

BG

5. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

I'm sorry you fell!!! And I'm convinced this is TMS too. As for me: the weekend I discovered TMS I walked into the closet in the middle of the night. I was on my way to the door and completely off track (in the dark). This had NEVER happened before. I come nowhere near the closet when I walk from bed to door. I hurt my toe very badly and immediately thought: come on, this MUST be TMS, I don't buy it. My mind is trying to get my attention on yet another symptom instead of my emotions. My toe was black on one side next morning, but I didnt have any pain!!! I was amazed!

And still I have these little accidents during the last weeks. I laugh about it.

But falling down from the stairs sounds pretty serious, and of course you need to take time to heal. On the other hand, if I were you, I would think about this accident as TMS. For me it really works!

jullemire likes this.
  6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Good point Ruth. I think sometimes the Universe is trying to get our attention by falling down the stairs, dropping to the floor while trying to put on footwear, and also walking into a closet. Sometimes outside "unseen forces" will push us back on track.

Simply my belief.

BG

7. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

You are absolutely right! I was rushing to get down the stairs and I fell! And I know I usually rush and don't take the time to really do things but now I think I learned my lesson! I have a bruise the size of a "size 7" women's shoe on my ass!!!! It hurts when I sit down but other from that no pain.

8. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

Exactly! I "treated" this fall and the pain I got after (back pain and ass pain!) as TMS. I was talking to my brain and warning it that this pain was temporary and that it's normal but it will not last more than 1 day. The next day the back pain was gone. The bruise hurts but that's normal I guess!

I've always been someone very clumsy, always falling or bumping into things... I think I have my answer now! It's TMS!

Thanks to you and Beach-Girl for enlightening me!!!

9. Lori

Lori Well known member

I would think it will hurt for a little while but since the body heals quite quickly, if the pain continues for weeks you know what is at work!