1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do I know I'm not becoming too obsessed with TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aurora, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

How do I know I’m not becoming too obsessive with TMS? My husband tells me I’ve been spending a lot of time watching Dr. Sarno’s YouTube videos and reading The Divided Mind. I’m really excited about TMS. Of course I’ve been excited about many other things that I thought were the cure to my pain and my husband and I want to make sure I’m not obsessing again. He told me to stop reading the book and just realize that it’s in my head. It’s easy for him to say since he’s stopped having back pain after I told him weeks ago about Dr. Sarno’s work a few weeks ago. He didn’t even have to read the book!
    Currently I’m going through The Divided Mind, highlighting sections that I think are important and thinking about how it relates to me. I’m making an effort not to rush through it. I’m also reading and highlighting “The Great Pain Deception” which I find immensely helpful. At work I’m listening to the audiobook The Divided Mind. I figure it’s good to hear it and see it.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Aurora,
    When I have a question I turn to "the good doctor" for advice. Dr. Sarno states that one should spend around 30-60 minutes a day on TMS study. Probably doing more than that is more than our brains can process effectively. Plus, it's important to be living your life and not spending too much time thinking about health and healing.

And welcome to the Forum! welcomea

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Aurora. Hope you don't mind, but I agree with your husband and Ellen
    that you should spend less time on TMS thinking and more on enjoying life.
    Dr. Sarno has it right that we should spend only about half an hour on TMS thinking.
    Some folks are posting that they read about TMS or listen to recordings before going to bed.
    That's taking TMS to bed with them. I prefer spending an hour or two before bedtime
    relaxing and enjoying a movie on TV or DVD or listening to relaxing music.
    I don't think about any worry or anxiety before going to bed.

When I get in bed I do some deep breathing and positive visualizing.
    I picture myself on a sunny beach in the northwoods canoe country where I've
    spent some of my happiest summers.

If you think about TMS all day you're not getting away from it enough.
    Just tell your unconscious mind you believe 100 percent that your pain is from
    TMS repressed emotions. It's good if you can learn what they are, and they
    probably go back to your childhood. But even without identifying them,
    your unconscious knows you're convinced that's where your pain comes from.

Aurora, your husband healed right after just learning about TMS.
    For others, it takes longer and more work. Just don't spend so much time on the work.