1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I know if I have a new injury?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Y's mom, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Y's mom

Y's mom Newcomer

I've sprained my wrists several times in the past, and I recently found out that for the last few years I have had TMS in my wrists on and off. Today my son was waving his arm around and he accidentally pushed my hand into a bent position a little farther than I would normally have stretched it. I know that can cause a sprain, although he didn't do it with tremendous force. The problem is, I was already having TMS pain, so I'm supposed to tell myself that my wrist pains are TMS. So how do I know if it's still TMS or if the increased pain is because of a new sprain that has to be rested for the next month or so?

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I have had similar situations happen since my recovery.

For minor injuries like this I usually rest and ice it for three days then begin to gradually use it and increase its use every day until it is back to normal.

Better be safe than sorry. And believe there were times that I thought it was TMS and was an actual injury, like when I developed a hernia. I should have rested but kept going.

3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I agree with Fred that this is at worst a minor sprain that should feel better in a few days. Rest it for that time, stay relaxed about it and it will simply go away soon enough.

4. Y's mom

Y's mom Newcomer

Thanks. The problem is that my sprains usually take 4-6 weeks to heal. I have TMS pain in both wrists, and both wrists are very weak from barely using them for a long time due to the pain, so I have no way of knowing if I should resume my strengthening exercises in a few days or not. (Meanwhile, I am typing with both hands, and I wonder if even that is a good idea.)

5. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You should use your wrists normally, this will strengthen them naturally without you being too focused on them. I think typing is a good idea!

I don't think your son would have done much damage as you said he didn't use much force. You may be preoccupied still with the pain and not fully accepting that the symptoms are caused by your mind and your fear has been stimulated by this new 'accident'.

Try to just relax about it because this will calm the 'danger' response and move you through this episode more quickly even if there is a slight sprain.

FredAmir likes this.
  6. Y's mom

Y's mom Newcomer

Thanks.