1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. How do I deal with getting my spouse to be more supportive?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    How do you ask your spouse to hang in there while you work on yourself? My husband gets practically furious when I get a multi-day mograine and that makes my experience of the pain significantly worse. He acts like just because I know it's TMS that means that im on control of it and could simply chose not to have them.

Help!

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Sometimes when we’re going through our TMS process, it can be hard for those around us to understand what that means and how to be supportive.

To begin, your husband getting furious with you when you have a migraine is not helping. In fact, it’s making things worse. That needs to change.

I have a question for you: Have you asked him to stop responding to your migraines that way? If you have asked him, and he hasn’t stopped, then there is a bigger issue at play here.

If you haven’t, then this might be another case of fear getting in the way of progress. I’d encourage you tell him exactly how you’d like him to respond when your migraine shows up. If you want him to leave you alone – say that. If you want him to be supportive and bring you cookies in bed (fun!) – say just that. Tell him that you need time to take pressure off of yourself, and when he gets angry with you when you have a migraine it only feels like more pressure!

Are you worried about how he’ll respond when you tell him what you need? Well, you’re in good company. Most of us get worried when we have to assert ourselves. But otherwise he won’t know what you need! The only way for him to change his behavior is if you tell him that the behavior now is not acceptable, and not helping you get better.

Lastly, I’d encourage you to send him to the wiki. If he doesn’t 100% understand TMS, then send him here to look around. If you’re feeling too anxious to tell him that you need him to be supportive, then maybe even send him to my answer – that might help.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.